2004-D Roosevelt Dime with Copper Obverse & Reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jupiter88, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

Hi, I came across this 2004-D Roosevelt dime while sorting through some modern pennies. It weighs 2.24 grams, has a reeded edge with a darker and lighter copper striping, and of normal dime dimensions?
    S20160210_0029.jpg S20160210_0031.jpg S20160210_0039.jpg S20160210_0034.jpg S20160210_0044.jpg S20160210_0049.jpg S20160210_0051.jpg S20160210_0060.jpg S20160210_0015.jpg S20160210_0018.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I think what you have is a plain old dime that's suffered some environmental damage.

4. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

Thank you for the input, would you happen to know if the two-toned copper sandwich edging would be indicative of this type damage, or if this is how the edging would normally appear without clad?

5. Paul M.

If there were no obverse or reverse clad layer, what you'd have is a solid copper coin, so there would be no "copper sandwich." Also, the weight would be a bit lower.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

Thanks, I'm always learning :) So to know I'm understanding correctly, if you removed the clad layers on both sides, including the outer edge of a regular dime, the edging underneath would be a light and dark copper "sandwich"?

7. Paul M.

No, you'd have a solid copper coin, like a pre-1982 cent, but smaller, and with a reeded edge.

Jupiter88 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I agree that your dime is Environmental Damage
    FYI - I want to share this website - http://www.coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=4879&main_ct_id=90

Jupiter88 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Jupiter88

You can often find cupronickel (clad) coins that will have this dark tone when subjected to the environment.

Chris

Jupiter88 likes this.
  10. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

That dime has been in the ground for awhile.

jon21 likes this.
  11. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

Looks like environment it is! I had to turn to you guys finally after hours of research on my own, I couldn't make the call based on those edges! So weird how one little coin can drive me nuts and onto an unexpected all-consuming path of research momentarily! Now I can move onward, thanks!

12. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

Thanks Chris, feeling a little bit smarter after looking up the definition, wasn't familiar with cupronickel..
    A common consumer use of cupronickel is in silver-coloured modern-circulated coins. A typical mix is 75% copper, 25% nickel, and a trace amount of manganese. In the past, true silver coins were debased with cupronickel.

13. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

14. Derry

Derry Member

looks like the dimes that come out of our mall fountain

15. Popcornman

Popcornman New Member

My name is Walter I found a 2004 d solid copper dime today it has no silver at all it's read it it's the same size as a regular dime and it weighs the same as a regular dime it's in great condition and the same color as a brown penny I just got a new phone and I don't know how to send you a picture maybe you can tell me I would be more than happy to.

16. Popcornman

Popcornman New Member

17. paddyman98

It is environmental damage... the clad layer of your dime suffered exposure to the elements... dirt, soil, sand, water, chemicals, heat can change the color.... that's all it is.

18. Popcornman

Popcornman New Member

The corn was never in the elements. It was never in the ground. It weighs the same as a regular dime that's clad.

19. paddyman98

OK... but you are wrong. It's not a Mint Error. I am sure at one time it was exposed to the elements. You found a 2004 Dime... that's a 13 year old coin.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And how do you know this? Has it been in your personal possession since Jan 1 2004? Oh you say you found it today, so you really can't say where it has been for the last 13 years. Sorry if I sound snarky , it's just we have seen a LOT of environmental damage coins and people very frequently come here claiming "solid copper, nickels, dimes, quarters , halves etc and the ONLY ones that have ever actually been copper are those struck on cent planchets (you can't strike a dime on a cent planchet). On rare occasions someone does fond a coin that is missing one clad layer and is copper on ONE side. And if you DID find a dime missing both clad layers it would only weigh about 1.2 grams.

21. Popcornman

Popcornman New Member

I'm basing my conclusion about the coin only its condition is pristine of course I could be wrong too I would have to send it and get it graded and certified or attempt to anyway then I will know for sure. I appreciate your input you're really cool. I'm sorry I don't have a pictures that I could show you I don't know how to post pictures if I can get someone to show me I will post pictures thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted