2004 D Nickel ?'s

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by VT4Pac, Jun 19, 2018.

1. VT4Pac

VT4Pac Active Member

Hi everyone,

I recently found this 2004 D nickel with extra thickness on the obverse with some of the letters and the date. I know there is a 2004 P DDO listing, but I have yet to find any 2004 D DDO listings. That being said, I do not believe this to be a true doubled die.

I am curious as to what may have caused this to the coin, whether it is some sort of MD or PMD. Is this typical of some sort of heat damage perhaps from being in a dryer? I know this coin has its fair share of nicks and scratches. I did some comparison photos with another normal 2004 D nickel to illustrate the difference.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is some sort of error, though I seriously doubt it. Anyways, I thought I would share the coin with some of you much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject. Any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated as always, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert by any means but in my opinion the coin shows die deterioration so let's see what others think.JMO
    Dave

VT4Pac likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

You ARE getting down into the minutiae, AREN'T you?

5. VT4Pac

VT4Pac Active Member

Thanks Dave, I'm still learning and the examples of die deterioration I've seen and found thus far (probably extreme examples) have had strong die flow lines and a kind of melting ghost-like trail appearance. This is probably the best explanation though as to why the thickness is concentrated to the lower area of the numbers/letters. Thanks for the input! I thought perhaps heat somehow caused the metal in the area to expand. I wasn't sure and thought some of you more experienced collectors may know.

6. VT4Pac

VT4Pac Active Member

Yes, I'd say that's a fair assessment. I have better than average vision and noticed it with my loupe and then decided to put it under the scope. I compared it to a pic of this 2004 p ddo I found online and wanted to seek the opinion of you guys before I threw it in the spender pile.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted