2004 D jefferson nickle error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Alexander Sanchez, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Alexander Sanchez

Alexander Sanchez Active Member

1.4mm in width weight is 4.9 is this odd ? Looks diferent. What do you guys think? received_629190860950417-1.jpg received_811756339294540-1.jpg received_759342881250007-1.jpg received_493769337901542-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Colby J.

Colby J. Well-Known Member

Nope. Go spend it.

Alexander Sanchez likes this.
  4. Alexander Sanchez

Alexander Sanchez Active Member

think IL save it for my kids.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Use a real measuring device for coins. Not an app.

Looks normal to me.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I had nothing better to do this morning, so I decided to conduct a "scientifically unscientific" survey on some of my uncirculated 2004 P&D Peace Medal nickels that came from $50 Mint bags. I measured the thickness and weight of six "P" in addition to six "D" so that there would be a comparison between the two mints.

NOTE: The Red Book doesn't list the thickness for the nickels, and my measurement is from rim-to-rim. The Red Book lists the weight at 5 gms.

These were my findings:
    2004-P
    1)1.78mm/5.0gms; 2)1.76mm/4.8gms; 3)1.74mm/5.1gms; 4)1.79mm/4.9gms; 5)1.78mm/5.0gms; 6)1.77mm/4.8gms
    2004-D
    1)1.85mm/4.9gms; 2)1.85mm/4.9gms; 3)1.93mm/4.8gms; 4)1.81mm/5.0gms; 5)1.84mm/4.9gms; 6)1.93mm/4.9gms

You may draw whatever conclusions you want from this information.

Chris

Mike185, MatrixMP-9 and ldhair like this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Average weight for each mint is the same. 4.9gms Same as the coin posted.

P average thickness is 1.77mm
    D average thickness is 1.86mm
    The coin posted is 1.4mm

My conclusions.
    The rims have worn on the coin posted.
    Denver coins are fat.
    I need a drink after doing math this time of morning.;)

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

Would you like some hot chocolate with lil marshmallows on top?:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Chris

9. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Nice Chris! I love data. Interesting results.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A little something in my OJ got me moving around. :D

Harpo and MatrixMP-9 like this.
  11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Yes - hot chocolate, coffee, milk, juice or water. :arghh:

Data sample is small, but given the controls in place at the mint it's probably a very good estimate of the broader population. Variation exists in all processes, so folks need to expect that some coins will be lighter/heavier, larger/smaller, different colors and so on. Knowing the limits helps to explain an anomaly so perusing the mint specifications would help determine when something in hand is somewhat unique.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

My conclusion is that Denver strikes their five cent pieces at a slightly higher pressure resulting in more fully formed rims.

13. cpm9ball

Speaking of "a little something", I got tired of having six boxes of shot glasses weighing 50+ lbs. each in my apartment, so I gave them all away. I emptied the boxes on several 6' tables in our community center and when the "senior citizen feeding frenzy" was over, they were all gone.

I did keep six commemorative sets for sports teams - Washington Redskins, Baltimore Ravens, St. Louis Rams, Duke Blue Devils, Florida Gators & Florida State Seminoles.

Chris

14. cpm9ball

I remember the first time that I searched a $50 bag of 2004-P Peace Medal nickels. I was wearing cotton gloves, and the rims were in such bad shape that they actually snagged the cotton gloves.

Chris

Kevin Mader likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

Good observation! Maybe that is why I didn't snag my cotton gloves on them as much as I did on the Phillies (Post #13).

Chris

16. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

You know, isn't it interesting on the little things we pick up when CRHing? I noticed that the rims on the Denver coins were slightly thicker looking and squarer. The details also looked sharper on the Denver coins. But this was just an intuitive hunch. I think that over time, CRH enthusiasts are able to detect the different obverse/reverse designs in a series (such as the Jefferson Nickel series). Try to put it to words...more difficult. It 'looks' different...'feels' different. And indeed...they sometimes are.

Draft saved Draft deleted