2004 5 Euro Cent Belgium Coin question

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dan Burby, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Dan Burby

Dan Burby New Member

Hello!

I have a 2004 5 Euro Cent coin from Belgium which appears to have quite a few errors. I know nothing about non US currency and would really appreciate some input. I will attach the best photos I can.

Appears to have laminating/bubbling on both obverse and reverse. Also multiple die cracks, cuds, and possibly severe doubling on King Arthur II forehead.

Lastly, the reverse may be rotated 180 degrees. Turning the coin over reveals an upside-down reverse. Perhaps this is standard Euro mint practice?

Any information on this coin, value, opinion, anything, greatly appreciated.

IMG_2268.JPG
    Apparent lamination issues/bubbling/peeling on reverse all over. Extremely serious spot covering the top of the "5" left of "Cent". They almost look like tectonic plates. Much more on the obverse below.
    IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    I wish the photos were better quality. Peeling/bubbling to the northwest of King Arthurs glasses. Forehead doubling. Three distinct cracks, one from right of bubbling, one from second star from the crown icon (counterclockwise) and one, with a cud or chip, from the third star from the date (also counter clockwise). All converge in the center of the head, where there's also a large cud/chip.

Totally in the dark here.
    Thanks! —Dan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It has probably been through a washing machine a few times after being left in a pocket. The pictures really do not show much but a dinged up coin.

4. onecenter

onecenter Member

Just plain abused while in circulation.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It appears to have lost a fight with a car on the street

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Does appear to have some nice cracks on the obv, but everything else is just post strike damage.

7. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

The core of the 5c is steel, which likely explains the bubbling on the reverse--corrosion.

8. Dan Burby

Dan Burby New Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The "A" monogram is short for Albert II who was the Belgian king from 1993 until 2013.

Yes. In fact, that is the standard orientation in pretty much every country of the world these days. ;)

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted