2004/2005 Westward Journey Nickles Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, May 30, 2016.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Back in 2004 and 2005 the US mint issued a Westward Journey Nickles set that included two proof westward journey nickles (for each year) as well as a proof Sacajawea dollar and a silver plated Peace Medal. The set (in part) commemorated the journey of the Corp of Discovery and their expedition to explore the newly purchased Louisiana Territory. Being a fan of everything 'Lewis & Clark', I purchased one set for each year back in the day. The sets were tucked away, and basically forgotten, until I stumbled upon them yesterday while looking for some advertising material that I had promised to send to a friend in California. The materials found, and packaged, (soon to be posted) I had the pleasure of revisiting what I had squirreled away long ago. Sheer and utter surprise awaited me as the five cent pieces exhibited some pleasant golden toning depending on how they were stored......reverse up displayed the toning, while obverse down remained mirror white. Just the opposite for the other set. Have a look see.......:)

DSC_2096.JPG DSC_2105.JPG DSC_2106.JPG DSC_2107.JPG DSC_2108.JPG

Thanks for looking..........:)

Lehigh96, dwhiz, Mojavedave and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

My ocean view is gold toned all around the rim. Really nicely I might add. Funny as I pulled this set out about 3 weeks ago and was amazed by the gold tone.

green18 likes this.
  4. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I have a "Bison" 2008 that was given to me. The obverse has a slight yellow tone to it. Nothing like yours though. Like the way yours has turned out.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I like the Westward Journey nickels, too, but I didn't bother to get that set. One thing I did manage to pick up was a framed "Corps of Discovery" print from the USPS which included images of Lewis and Clark and a commemorative postage stamp.

Chris

6. green18

Must be the water........... devil.gif

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Is that a typo? The bison was on the reverse of the 2005 nickel.

Chris

8. Paddy54

9. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Ah, this probably explains the gold toned Canadian nickel I found in a horde of coins earlier this year. I pulled it out because it looked so delicious. I had never seen such a thing until this thread. Does anyone one know what causes the toning process?

10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

You know right after I posted that I was thinking the years not right. Not a typo just a brain fart.

green18 likes this.
  11. Paddy54

The mint packing.....I'm betting as the air tights were in a plastic tray that was covered by a velour type substance .
    Some chemical reaction I'm thinking .

12. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

That is when I first started collecting. I have to go through my sets to see how they look. Love that toning. Great pictures by the way!

green18 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Ken is that a die crack on the 2005 S along Jefferson's jaw line?

14. green18

Gotta be the packaging for sure. :)

15. green18

Nah, just the crappy picture reflection....... devil.gif

16. Paddy54

Oh.......yeah right......101 proof water aka Fire Water!

green18 likes this.
  17. Paddy54

Now is it AT or NT ? :confused:

18. green18

Let's open that can 'o worms, LOL.........@eddiespin

19. green18

20. Paddy54

I do have a roll of buffalo's that the ends are gold toned . I believe it's one of the first day issues with the stamps on the roll.

21. Paddy54

Oh now you done it......Someone is going to say they are Chinese counterfeits , then if Doug gives them a green sticker then Frank is going to go MIA again because he didn't get one...... and the beat goes on :)

Draft saved Draft deleted