2003 dime on copper planchet??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pennys2pesos, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Pennys2pesos

Pennys2pesos New Member

I think this dime was struck on a Cooper penny planchet.. there's no other dime I've found from 2003 with this error???

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That is because it is not a Mint Error.
    It's Environmental Damage to the clad surface.

Soil, dirt, sand, weather and the elements can affect the appearance of any coin. I metal detect and have found hundreds of coins such as yours.
    Here are some Quarters I found. Same clad and copper core as dimes - 20171224_140434.jpg

4. paddyman98

Also.. If it were struck on a Cent (penny) Planchet it would be the same size, thickness and weight of a Cent.. Think about it ;)

5. paddyman98

I also have been collecting mint errors for almost 34 years. I specialize in errors.
    There are clad coin errors known as missing clad errors but unfortunately it is not what you have. It usually occurs on just one side of a clad coin.
    Here are many examples from my collection -
    004.jpg Capture+_2017-02-01-12-55-56.png 2593338-001.JPG 607580-1.jpg

6. Pennys2pesos

Pennys2pesos New Member

Your incorrect if you can determine the errors on a coin from a picture you should open a booth. I have shown this coin to over 42 friends and 3 coin shops this dime has a composition that's is at the least 40 percent copper that when you look at the difference between your rusted coins and mine is night and day I could post weatherd coins and this is not post mint..it's a real composition or planchet error..

Wagering or betting is not allowed on the forums!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2021
  7. Pennys2pesos

Pennys2pesos New Member

8. paddyman98

No.. You are totally wrong. The clad layer is a combination of copper mixed with nickel. The copper will show due to Environmental Damage. If you want to not listen to my expertise and play these games.. I am not interested. Coin shop owners Don't all understand Mint Errors.
    Don't waste your time and money on this Dime of yours.. Believe me.

9. paddyman98

10. paddyman98

I gave you 3 great and real explanations and you still don't understand.. In time you will.

All you have is a dirty Dime.

potty dollar 1878 and 1stSgt22 like this.
  11. paddyman98

Oh and one more thing for you to think about.. It cannot be a Dime struck on a Copper Cent planchet because a cent blank is larger than a Dime planchet. So.. The Cent planchet would not fit into the chamber to strike a Dime so it's impossible to occur.
    You can add what I just said what I told you before that it's not the same size, thickness and weight of a Cent Planchet.. Common sense.

12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow. Maybe you should get educated @paddyman98 ;)
    This is why I like the ancients section. They are way friendlier and you don't have to deal with the masses who find a diamond in garbage and know better than you.

Kentucky, 1stSgt22, SmokinJoe and 2 others like this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I find it interesting when someone who has been collecting for 2 years thinks that she knows more than someone who has been collecting for decades and decades.

It's good to know that you are blessed with 42 friends who know so much about coins, and that there are 3 coin shops in your area who specialize in error coins? Have you ever stopped to think that, just maybe (!), those coin shop proprietors don't know squat about error coins? In the mere 62 years that I have been collecting coins, I've come to the conclusion that most coin shop owners don't want to waste their time with errors. It's just too darn time-consuming for them and less likely to produce a reasonable profit for their business when their overhead costs go on and on and on. They're probably just agreeing with you to, either, get you out of their store or make a little cash on your (useless) submission to a TPG.

Now, about your dime. Have you wondered why the rim and many of the devices on your coin appear to be white? Are just a few spaces in the fields and other recesses of the devices the only parts that are missing the clad layer? Did you even bother to compare your coin to those owned by @paddyman98 that have been certified by one of the foremost grading services in the U.S.?

How does your coin compare to the one below? It's one I've owned ever since it left the Mint, 15 years ago.
    2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

What was it that encouraged you to start collecting errors in the first place? Was it some stupid BoobTube video? Did you read a copy of "Strike It Rich With Pocket Change"? If you're so dang smart, why did you come here? Was it because someone disagreed with you? Maybe you should have listened to them instead of those other "error experts".

Chris

14. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

What is the weight of this coin?

1stSgt22 likes this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The know it alls are coming out in full force lately.

1stSgt22, SmokinJoe and furryfrog02 like this.
  16. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Cazador likes this.
  17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@paddyman98 is absolutely correct. Your coin is discolored due to environmental damage. As he pointed out, a dime cannot be struck on a cent planchet because a cent is larger than a dime and the planchet cannot fit into the striking chamber.

In addition, you provided the data that proves it can’t be a struck on a cent planchet or missing clad layer when you said it came up at least 40% copper. If it was one of these errors, it would be 95-100% copper.

And @cpm9ball is correct regarding coin dealers and error coins. Having been in this hobby for almost 50 years, you would be amazed how many people who sell coins, know very little about errors (Fred W. is an exception ;)).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Cazador, 1stSgt22, SmokinJoe and 2 others like this.
  18. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

As Ron White said "You can't fix stupid." Paddyman, I appreciate your insight and knowledge. Some people just can't be helped.

19. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

by the look of all that silver coloring on that dime, it must have been one of those rare steel belted cooper penny planchets...

1stSgt22 and Hookman like this.
  20. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I'll be glad to pay for the OP's submission costs,
    including postage, AFTER their 2003 Dime, as
    photo'd in the first post, comes back from any
    of the top three authentication services as any kind
    of error.

A generous offer Fred, but please, ALL members - No Betting/Wagering on the Forums. Use PM !

Cazador, 1stSgt22, Jeffjay and 10 others like this.
  21. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

@paddyman98 Does this conversation sound similar to others recently where names were changed and new challenges came in? I wonder why this person immediately challenged the people they were asking for help. It wasn't slowly worked up to, but, immediately the negative responses came in. Is this a new name for an old player?

Draft saved Draft deleted