2003 D dime with many problems ( errors? ). Let me know please if anyone knows about this coin

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Torturedsoul, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Torturedsoul

Torturedsoul New Member

63BBD71C-ABFD-4848-A31B-7BFFA86CE179.jpeg 16252C02-F401-4E9B-9D4C-8144EDEF8161.jpeg 63BBD71C-ABFD-4848-A31B-7BFFA86CE179.jpeg I found this 2003 dime in my pocket change. It appears to be in great condition as of minimal wear. It has soo much wrong with it like what appears to be cud in the G of god making it look like a backwards D. The second 0 in the date is mishapen and has a die gouge? I think. Even the tiny J in the JS is messed up, it’s missing the top half of the J.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sorry, but it is just PMD (post mint damage). It was treated roughly during it's 15 years in circulation. Not a mint error

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. Torturedsoul

Torturedsoul New Member

Stupid thread wouldn't let me finish typing it then it timed out lol but anyways... The coin isn’t round and has rim damages that does not appear to be post mint damage ( i say this because the ridge lines are straight and no scratches etc). Just like the rest of the coin, no signs of scratching or scraping. Thats just the obverse. There’s a lot more on the reverse. The E in one has Cud piled up where there was a chip and a chip in the I of dime. The e plurbis has a tail coming off the P and ending up in the L. The leaf in the NE quadrant has a scrape or something but I can still see the pattern and outline of the leaf inside the mark as though it had been squished while still soft. There’s much more but i lack the terms used to describe them, sorry still learning them. Thanks for any info u can provide. Oh and I may be kinda new to this site but I did learn a lot from my grandpa over the years since he was an advid coin collector and quite frankly I’m offended that one of you made the assumption that I’m an idiot that doesn’t know the difference between errors on a coin from scratches or scrapes

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The coin shows damage that happened after it left the mint. I don't see anything that looks like an error.

7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

agreed, nothing on this coin but damage..

8. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Damage. Not an error.

9. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

I'll go out on a limb here and say I see a lot of scratches,scrapes and metal being moved around on the coin. PMD.

spirityoda likes this.
  10. Torturedsoul

Torturedsoul New Member

32EF2640-232E-44E5-85F9-479FB777AE08.jpeg 3511EA72-7C8D-4CB3-8704-D9E26FE33C5B.jpeg I was able to get some better pics of the dime. Maybe you can see now what I’m talking about.

Attached Files:

11. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Still no, my friend.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Still just damage.

13. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

Still just worth 10 cents.

14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

If in doubt and you’re so confident of “errors” then send it in to one of the major TPGs. Even though costly, Consider it the price of education on damage versus mint errors.

15. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Post minting damage (PMD)

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

what part of damage did you not understand ?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  17. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I agree, that coin is just beat up. It is scratched, scraped, gouged, you name it.

18. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

Could be that infamous ATM error I've read about!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted