2003 coins in circuliation

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dockwalliper, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

I live in Western New York and except for the 2003 state quarters (and those have not been too plentiful) I have found only 1 single 2003 cent in my change, and that was found in early November. No nickels, no dimes, not 1. I find this really strange. Is this occuring anywhere else?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ben_Bovas

Ben_Bovas New Member

Prompted by your inquiry, I looked over my recent change in the jar on top of my dresser. This is not a scientific sample of change here in east-central Ohio since I have travelled to New York City and California in the past four months. But here is what I found in about $5 worth of change (I usually separate out the quarters and spend them.) Among 2003 coinage:

Cent: (1) 2003-P
    Nickel: (1) 2003-P
    Dime: (2) 2003-P, (1) 2003-D
    Quarter: (1) 2003-D Alabama

From here, it looks like it’s all out there in circulation, although not in huge numbers. Maybe the Federal Reserve does not directly supply your local banks. They do this only when requested. It could be that no banking institutions near you have expressed a need for new coin, and so the old stuff continues to re-circulate.

Incidentally, in doing this exercise I also found a 1954-P dime, reminding me that I should check my change more often. I'm all smiles over that. Thanks for your inquiry.

4. rgs1975

rgs1975 New Member

Just check my change and I've got a healthy mix of P and D 2003 coins. I'm in California.

5. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

So......all our "P"s are heading out west.

6. crazy larry

crazy larry New Member

ahhh thats it...

explains why i don't have 1 (one!) circulated state quarter with a P m-mark....

Draft saved Draft deleted