2002 Indiana Quarter Error - What type of error is this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by August, Oct 2, 2013.

1. August

August New Member

Hi all,

I purchased a 2002 quarter set uncirculated from the U.S. Mint and found this error but don't know what type it is or if there are multiple errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Photos attached. The coin has many strike marks and a slight imprint ring near the rim. Both sides of the coin are damaged. Much of the coin wording and some of the design such as the stars on the reverse are struck out.

Thanks!

August

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Not an error at all; it's just damage.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yes, that quarter's had quite the beating. Do you think it's too late to return it?

5. Jral1

Jral1 Member

Interesting...

6. Jral1

Jral1 Member

could you take it out of the plastic and get a scan of it with a high DPI

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

8. Jral1

Jral1 Member

Maybe so but wouldnt you have to hold the coin and inspect it yourself to day for sure. What if it was damaged befor strike. There seems to be some odd things going on with this coin even though it just looks like...

''DAMAGE""

Look closer.

Some of the damage looks like it has healed. Some of the letters look like they werent fully struck up. Not much displacement/uplifting of metal near the sratches or gouges. and so on..

I bet the coin is a point or two/slightly underwieght as well.

Plus he said he bought it from the mint uncirculated. Like you've never missed something you were supposed to do at work!

and he said something about help being appreciated

Maybe not a previously know error or common error. What about fedder finger damage or any number of other ways it could have ended up like that prestrike.

The imprint ring he mentions could be an upset mill error and the planchet could be tappered isomewhat. Which might be why some of the lettering didnt get srtuck up'' fully and most of the lettering looks weak.

9. rickmp

Yes. You nailed it. Everyone else here is wrong. Get this coin to PCGS posthaste.

10. Jral1

Jral1 Member

Anyone ever see a coin that had scratches or cutmarks on the planchet before they were struck? What clues do you use to determin if they were before or after strike?

11. rickmp

Do you have any idea how coins are minted? Learn.
    Despite the mint not having the greatest of quality control,
    it's not so bad that that coin would leave the mint like that.
    The marks on your coin are post mint damage, pure and simple.

12. Jral1

Jral1 Member

I'd rather it get it into a hi res scanner at least 1200 dpi or better. So at least I could look closer at it. Also a better discription of what he thinks would be good.

Only four other people responded out of ''everyone else here" so far.
    and the bar of knowledge regarding pre-strike damage error, error coins is pretty low it seems. Cause ''Anything could have happened'' so its mostly speculation with coins like these. Unless its completely obvious like 30% off center error coins

Plus he already mentioned it has damage so the anwer damage is useless.
    What else makes him think the damage was pre strike making this an error coin? Would be my next question, which is.

13. Jral1

Jral1 Member

Actually they have the best and most sophisticated quality controll ever, and produce the best coins for their dime. Sometime these coins pass the sifters and pass all the tests and make it through becase they are still within the tolerances of all these test. What supprises me is when very oddly shapped ''error coins''(capped die, braodstruck and what ever else) ever make it outside the mint without assistance let alone past the first siffters not to mention dont they test the electromagnetic properties of the coins so they can insure that they will work in soda machines or something?

14. Jral1

Jral1 Member

I would like to know more about what you think happened or why this damage on your coin happened at the mint. You said you bought it in a uncirculated set from the mint itsself which would be the first indication it happened in the mint. They hand place the coins in those sets at the mint I think.

Was it a normal bussines run set of average coins or was it a proof set? If it was a proof set i would think that they would have spotted it before it was sent out. If not there would be plausable deniability if it was missed in an average set.

Could you take a picture of the set and post it?

Do they come sealed in a way that you could prove you bought it from the mint like that? If so i wouldnt open it to scan it untill you get pictures of it in the seealed package.

15. tgaw

tgaw Member

it is damaged and I think it served time as a doorstop;which may help it's value if we can find out where it was used.

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It appears as post striking damage. Notice many of the scratches/gouges or whatever you wish to call them go over the raised rim. If they were there previous to strike they would have been obliterated by the pressure. Contrary to the wording, "Post mint damage" really means post strike damage as far as varieties/errors are concerned. If a coin jumps out of a hopper and is ran over by a pallet wheel, that is not mint damage as far as errors. IMO.

non_cents likes this.
  17. August

August New Member

18. August

August New Member

Dear all - thank you for all your help and investigating. attached is the 2002 P plastic mint set and more close ups. Let me know if any more photos would help.

Attached Files:

19. Jral1

Jral1 Member

[​IMG]
    So this is how they come directly from the mint? If this is the case you may be onto something unless they came from a third party or something or the back of the plastic its sealed in has already been cut open then i might be doughtfull to I hope you didnt cut it open yet.Did you?! If not id say it Looks posibly legit to me, although I have never bought coins from the mint but i might in the future now. Maybe someone else could confirm this is how they come sealed from the mint. The next step would be to take it to a coin shop where they are going to look at it curiously for one second then tell you its a damaged coin and was ''probably used as a doorstop'' or ''its damaged thanks for coming in goodbye''

Then your going to say ''but it came this way from the mint as you can see its still in the sealed plastic that they packaged it in at the mint.Then he will probably tell you they must have been a coin short for that set and just used the coin that they were using as a door stop on the screen door . then your going to try and give a long story about how you thought it might have happened and why its could be an error coin and so on if you havnt done that already. Then he will tell you to send it in or something or revert back to the door stop idea. then you probably will leave without much more info then that and a bit of a headache or at least out of breath and a bit dizzy feeling.

I'd tell you to ask around if it would be better to cut the coin ''away'' from the other coins without breaking the airtight seal and send it in or just wait for a coin show to come around that you could make it to and bring the whole set and maybe any other shipping matieral that it may have come with that says it came from the mint. That will surly help your odds on getting any helpfull advice or anyone to agree with you.

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

August, The mint cello packaging has a colored band at the top and bottom of the cello edge. I can't tell if such is there from the photo, could you confirm. It is white for P and black for D. Thanks

21. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

This gash at the bottom of the bust where metal was displaced. If it were pre strike you would still have the designs original even radius.

Even if this damage happens at the mint, it's considered a damaged coin and a damaged mint set and should have been returned. There's no value in damaged mint sets.
    BTW, mint sets aren't packaged at the mint. They're done by an outside company.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted