2002 CENT REVERSE OFF CENTER

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by SmokinJoe, Feb 2, 2017.

1. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I just found a 2002 cent that if you have the obverse facing you, and Lincoln
    is straight up and down, then you flip the coin to the reverse, it is not "level"...
    It's off center....Check out the pictures....Guessing this is not a biggie, but I don't
    see this too much at all...Actually this is the first one I found like this...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yours looks to be a little over 45 degrees. Though interesting, I don't think it is far off enough to command a premium.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think it is even that much, Rick. If you look at his photos, the obverse is cocked a couple of degrees CCW. We also have no idea how accurately he flipped the coin top-to-bottom. It would be easier for us if it was squarely mounted in a 2x2.

In either case, dies that are rotated less than 90 degrees don't usually command much of a premium.

Chris

SmokinJoe likes this.
  5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

That's why I wrote 'looks to be'.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Oh how looks can be deceiving. :)

SmokinJoe likes this.
  7. SmokinJoe

Hold up....I'm gonna put it on 2x2 ....I hate being deceived....:arghh:

8. SmokinJoe

I got them in 2x2's and have them resting on a straight edge level to keep em as straight as possible...

Attached Files:

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, I'm an OCD Virgo who has used drafting and/or AutoCAD for more than 50 years. From your new image of the obverse, the coin is not completely level in the circular opening. Placing the 2x2 on a level straightedge is irrelevant. It is the X-Y axis through the center of the circle that you need to align the coin with. Once you have achieved that, it doesn't matter if you turn the 2x2 side-to-side or top-to-bottom, you will always be able to calculate the degree of rotation more accurately.

With that said, I can see that you have the coin rotated slightly CCW in the 2x2. Based on it's present position I can guesstimate that the rotation of this coin is about 15-20 degrees.

Chris

SmokinJoe likes this.
  10. SmokinJoe

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that....

Draft saved Draft deleted