2001 new York quarter error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Brett Beliveau, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Brett Beliveau

Brett Beliveau New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

PMD - Post Mint Damage
    Looks like someone had fun tapping it with a hammer, thus flattening and elongating the edge inwards. You can see it's thin and separate from the coins surface.

Sometimes when I use coinage as a spacer/buffer in a vice for something I'm working on it gets damage like this. I've found coins much cheaper than buy/throw away spacers. After all a quarter is still worth 25 cents after damage (or nickel, penny). A spacer which may only cost 2 cents in a large pack is worthless after damage and gets thrown away.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I know exactly what that is.... Only because I am so totally guilty of it as a youngster. Back then we didn't have devices in our hands to keep us busy. Me and my compadres would site for hours tapping the edges of a coin (usually a nickel) with the backside of a spoon. Slowly but surely the edge of the coin would build and the coin would get smaller and smaller..... Yeah, I had waaayyyy too much time on my hands as a lad. This is what you are seeing here. Somebody scalloped the edges with some sort of tool.

Diogenes Diaz likes this.
  5. Brett Beliveau

What about the words on the new York State it's self?

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Also damaged.. Not a Mint Error

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

ABUSE! And if it happened in this country, I guess it would be "domestic abuse", wouldn't it?

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, spooning coins was, and still is (!) common, but this coin was not spooned because the reeds are still present. Spooning would damage the reeds, first.

Granted, this coin does look like it was damaged after it left the Mint, but there is no way of knowing exactly what caused it.

Chris

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. Brett Beliveau

I tried a grinder and a big hammer screwed up the coins but they don't look like this one lol

10. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Yup been there also as a kid, no electronics back in the 60’s and 70’s.
    9FA27F72-08E1-49CA-8CAE-4DBEE720AFF8.gif
    Reed and Sparkles the Unicorn.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

spend it, quick!

12. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I dunno, man. This would get REAL old REAL quick. Maybe I'm too A.D.D.

jamor1960 likes this.
  13. Loung

Loung New Member

4BABD141-0B54-41DE-9547-294C651A57AC.jpeg 4BABD141-0B54-41DE-9547-294C651A57AC.jpeg F536AEE8-1482-4084-9738-ADED6138CB9C.jpeg B1FF4CFA-DB63-4C83-A0FE-185C3AEB7E0A.jpeg 9584CE81-B591-4CDA-B9D5-47875D51BC91.jpeg 04D9F465-AE5B-4341-BD98-65AEB51654AF.jpeg Can any body know how much this cost or ever seen this kind of errors on this 2001
    New York Statehood Quarter with missing T on one side and the other is missing F and R and a gap between the whole quarter

14. Junebug069

Junebug069 New Member

I have a 2001 New York state. quarter that reads DOLLA instead of dollar and is also missing the mint mark and was trying to find out info on it also

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello.
    The missing R in DOLLAR usually is a result of grease that gets compacted on the Die that is used to strike the Blank Quarter planchet.. When that occurs some letters won't form properly.

No Mint Mark means it was minted at The Philadelphia Mint.

You have a Worn Die Strike issue. Nothing major.

Also.. For your future questions. Start your own separate thread. Pictures are always needed to show us your coin.

Welcome to CoinTalk

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  16. Junebug069

Junebug069 New Member

Sorry and thank you for the info.

17. yesenia estrella

yesenia estrella New Member

can you let me know about my quarter

18. yesenia estrella

yesenia estrella New Member

what about mine is it an

19. yesenia estrella