2001 Japan Mint Bureau Mint Set? Scarce?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coin0709, Oct 12, 2018.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Can someone shed some light on this set of mine? I cannot seem to find any info online. thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

E-Bay may be a good resource to find a value for your coin set.
    Just make sure you look at the ones people are actually bidding on.

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I'd like to know more about Japan Mint Bureau mint sets.

I wrote this article on Bank of Korea mint sets, and Japan has a much longer history of issuing official mint sets, so I'd like to read a similar piece on Japan's mint sets.

http://dokdo-research.com/bankofkoreamintsets.html

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

JNDA catalog does show a wide variety of Japanese mint set.

Honestly it's smart and evil marketing!!! Essentially the coins are the same however the packaging and mint tokens are different. So the price difference is just them - coins remain exactly the same other than proof and unc condition.

That said, there are some mint sets that may be worth more as some packaging are somewhat harder to find.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Just thought of it and looked in the Krause Standard Catalog of World coins catalog and they are listed there.They list 13 different sets.

7. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thank you everyone. I looked on Ebay and Worthpoint and zero results show up for the 2001 issued set. I'm wondering if it is a rare issue or just not sold online much. Thanks for the Krause recommendation. I will have a look at that now. If anyone knows of other sources, I'd love to hear.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Honestly, you might look tomorrow and see 20 of them. It is a marketplace.

9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Well, I was about to post a link to an auction with the set...but I think it might be yours :D. Looks to be set 138 in the JNDA (colorful pullout at the end of the book cross referenced to the pricing page). Without a translation (the google app would work but I don't have time for it right now) it would be reasonable to figure out the difference between the price levels for the set.

Draft saved Draft deleted