2001 double struck New York state quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by chrias11, Aug 13, 2009.

1. chrias11

chrias11 Junior Member

I have a 2001 double struck New York state quarter in very good condition. How much is it worth in today's market?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

Hello, can you post some photos for the forum please to help determine error type/grades/values? Thanks and welcome.

4. FarmerB

FarmerB Senior Member

Welcome to the formu
    Ya, we do need pics to evaluate

5. chrias11

chrias11 Junior Member

Photos of double struck 2001 NY quarter - please advise

Here are a couple photos of my quarter. What do you think?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Nice! Thanks for the pics. Someone who knows errors will be able to help!

7. Wren

Wren Senior Member

very nice :thumb:

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice piece, I am not sure of that State's scarcity on dbl strikes, but I'd venture $100 anyway.

so, did you buy it or cherrypick from change?

9. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

The coin was probably worth more when you first found it then it is worth today. I used to see pieces like this go in the $300-$400 range. I'd bet these days its worth in the $100-$200 range.

91stang2 likes this.
  10. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

11. krispy

krispy krispy

it's not graded, yet, and it will only be worth what someone is willing to pay, right? I think Lost Dutchman is right in that the price will be lower than when this was first released/found.

12. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

That's why I said full retail assuming it was graded by PCGS and listed by a dealer. I doubt that would ever go for $100 based on the look of the coin.

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

YIKES BIKES!! I wish I had all the ones I sold back.

This piece has a pretty nasty rim whack and tho it may have happened when the coin was made it is still there and in my opinion this does discount the coin.

14. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

Since that happened to a New York quarter it may even be more valuable, I think it is a stunning error.

15. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Not sure of the price sorry, but that is one great find.

16. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I think it is a very nice and unique quarter error for the NY series. The rim damage is all part of the distress this coin endured in order to come out of the mint like this is shown. IMO, it is worth a few hundred $s and maybe more if it's graded and slabbed by PCGS or NGC. I wish I had found it.

Bruce

17. 50cent

50cent What A steal

that is a die problem the die was struck double times

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Fred Weinberg has a listing for a GW quarter double-struck 70% off-center and he's asking $275 slabbed.

Besides the rim damage, is your coin bent? It looks like it may be near the rim damage.

Chris

19. Rarestdyesand55$

Rarestdyesand55$ New Member

That is an extremely rare coin it should not be sold to just anyone there isn't another one like it....... this quarter in my opinion should be held on too till the value of the state quarter collections reach atleast a 25 year mark or longer till then have it graded by multiple grading companies especially pcgs and coneca having it insured at all times by then you'll know how much it really is worth I'd say it's worth well over $200,000.00

20. 91stang2

91stang2 Pocket change junkie

Wow!!!! Super nice coin....wait..25 years, 200k??? Send it in, graded will bring you many smiles!!@

Draft saved Draft deleted