2001 Dime Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Brianab23, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Brianab23

Brianab23 New Member

Hi. I found this dime in circulation a few years ago. The obverse side is normal while the reverse side is blank.

blank dime obverse.jpg blank dime reverse.jpg

Here is what I wanted to know:
    1) Is there is a special name for these?
    2) How rare are they?
    3) How much is a circulated one worth in mint condition?
    4) How much do you think I could get for mine if I were to sell it to a collector?

Thanks to all who help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

1) Is there is a special name for these?
    Post mint damage.
    2) How rare are they?
    Not very.
    3) How much is a circulated one worth in mint condition?
    Ten cents
    4) How much do you think I could get for mine if I were to sell it to a collector?
    Collectors don't want these.

4. Brianab23

Brianab23 New Member

I just want to clarify on the dime. I may not be an expert on coins, but I do know that this is not just post mint damage. The coin does have some post mint damage from being in circulation, but the blank on the reverse side is not from that. The reverse side is completely flat and smooth. You can see part of the rim and part of the bottoms of some of the letters in the words ONE and DIME (they are dark), but they do not stick out at all (like I said, the reverse is completely flat). The obverse however is completely normal. A little dirty and some post mint damage from being in circulation but it's like the obverse of any normal dime.

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The reverse is NOT completely smooth. It has been ground down. Notice the lines across it?

6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

1) Is there is a special name for these? No
    2) How rare are they? You see some occasionally
    3) How much is a circulated one worth in mint condition? You won't find a circulated in mint condition, and in mint condition you won't find one
    4) How much do you think I could get for mine if I were to sell it to a collector? No collector will buy one from you. You will be lucky if you can get a coin machine to take it, and super lucky if you can pass it off at a store (human store clerk).

I just want to clarify on the dime. I may not be an expert on coins, but I do know that this is not just post mint damage. The coin does have some post mint damage from being in circulation, but the blank on the reverse side is not from that. No, it's not "just" post mint damage. The coin has circulation wear AND post mint damage. And yes, the reverse is almost totally post mint damage. It did NOT occur at the mint. Think about it.

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

It may have been the start of a love token. As it is, PMD.

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Brianab23,

#1 Welcome to the CoinTalk forum. If you have questions about coins, please post them here (like you did just today). :)

There is a type of mint error where two blanks get fed into the coining chamber at the same time. The result would be one blank being impressed with the obverse design (& a blank back) and one blank would be impressed with the reverse design (and a blank other side). IMO your coin is not this type of mint error. :(

What you have appears to be a normally struck dime that had the reverse ground away. You can see the remnants of the reverse design where it was not completely ground away. This would be called post mint damage (PMD). Your coin looks to have been circulated & damaged more in circulation. Sorry but I believe it is only worth a dime.

JoeFromMass likes this.
  9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Also, ikandigit made a good point. Sometimes the reverse is ground away by an artist or jeweler when they begin to make a love token. It they finished the love token, then they would have inscribed some letters or depict an object artistically on the blank side.

I'm afraid it is only worth a dime (or a half dime in this case.:devil:

10. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

So if I cut grind down a dime, I can get half dimes? I'll get out a MS dime and take an 1802 in exchange. What a bargain!

Draft saved Draft deleted