2001 DDO Quarter? IS this some crazy doubling or the famous die deterioration??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jjohnson3582506, Jun 29, 2019.

1. I am scared to call it anymore..To me it looks like doubling, but I would like another opinion..The Obverse is pretty radical if it is doubles

Thanks 2001 DDO Quarter (1).jpg 2001 DDO Quarter (2).jpg 2001 DDO Quarter (3).jpg 2001 DDO Quarter (4).jpg 2001 DDO Quarter (5).jpg 2001 DDO Quarter (6).jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wanderingbark116

Wanderingbark116 Active Member

Looks like pretty gnarly die detoriation doubling, the second picture of "Liberty" really shows how it's almost squished over.

4. Thing is without magnification it looks like a new quarter. the letters with the naked eye looks different and blurry.. I was hoping it would be the real deal holy field. Its hard for me to figure out exactly in this scenario how or what to look for to call it

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. It's what I call worthless doubling.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Think of it this way.
    Which Class of Doubling would it be ?

A DD usually is a shift in a particular direction of a squeeze, etc.
    In this case you have liberty "shifted" left, "states" shifted up, etc .. multiple directions.

Then also look at all the striations above "states" which is reminiscent of Die Deterioration. All the flat surfaces shows deterioration of the die's flat fields.

Look beyond just the letters, and the rest will help you identify more stuff and lead to knowing more.

Draft saved Draft deleted