2001 D penny doubling

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyrics, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Lyrics

Lyrics Giving this one more chance with lots of hope

20170714_014359.jpg 20170714_014359.jpg 20170714_014352.jpg Alright here's a penny for you. There is obvious doubling on it. Very heavy on the date also in Liberty also in the back on the e on one and e on cent. also around lincoln's face bust... etc.

and strangely sometimes the doubling is to the left (mint mark) or to right (date)

ok i cant find a coin like this anywhere.

first can someone explain why this doubling happened? Then can someone please explain what kind of doubling it is?

Thank in advance to all of you for your polite, educational, constructive future posts. Remember not all of us know what you know.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lyrics

20170714_014315.jpg

Attached Files:

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I believe what you have is caused by "Die Deterioration Doubling". When Dies get worn down around the edges of the design they can produce this kind of
    doubling image. It cost money to make money so the mint get as much use out of the Dies as they can.

bryan santos and Lyrics like this.
  5. Lyrics

thank you very much.
    Everyone agree?

and why cant i find this year and doubling error anywhere?

and as such does this coin have value?

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I hope someone else will agree. The reason you will not find much of any info on this type of Error is due to it being a more common type of Error that does not bring a premium of value with it. Here is a link with some info.
    http://www.error-ref.com/die-deterioration-doubling/

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The coin doesn't have a premium, it is worth one cent. That type of doubing is very common.

dog_pound likes this.
  8. Lyrics

thank you all for your educational and valuable info.

9. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

I have another one just like that. I gotta say, I am skeptical about it being just die deterioration doubling... why? because mine has tripple waves on a couple of points surrounding Lincoln. While I will agree the die deterioration doubling is common and I'm pretty sure that all the doubling that catches my eye all the time mostly is right around the liberty print, a little maybe on the dates, but could it really be around all of it? the one that I have has doubling around liberty, a little on "in god we trust" a tiny bit of it around the date and double and tripple waves around almost all of Lincoln.

10. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is good to be skeptical but looking at your Cent I see another Die Deterioration Doubling issue. Not a Doubled Die Variety.

Tin man.. in the future you should create your own unique threads. This one is from 2017.. you will get better views and more responses from other members that way.

12. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

Yeah, probably should have, but like the previous poster who started this thread, finding others has been difficult. But if you still think it's die deterioration, why does it have double? can the deterioration get deterioration?

13. paddyman98

http://doubleddie.com/144801.html

14. paddyman98

15. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

Another thing comes to mind about double die deterioration. Deterioration would be a gradual process and there would be MANY more of these coins out there to varying degrees, yet as she mentioned above, and even from my own looking at more 2001 coins for these features, I haven't found any. Granted that on the internet no one might have brought it up because its common, but the reality is that I haven't seen any more, not even close to it. Anyway, I'll keep looking, becasue I definitely want to find out about why it's "double deteriorated".

16. paddyman98

Do you realize how many millions of Cents are struck and dispersed every year? You find one and the next one like It you are looking for is like looking for a needle in a haystack!
    I have been a member on CoinTalk since early 2013 and have seen more than enough of DDD Cents over the years. Stick around a bit longer and you will begin to understand ;)

17. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Is die deterioration a gradual process?
    Maybe it's gradual at the beginning but accelerates near the end? It's tool steel but it's banging at a thousand times a minute, a material that is getting damaged by hitting a new piece of metal each and every time. What the operating temperature of the die versus each new, cooler planchet?

How many cents were produced in 2001 and how many dies were used at the various mints for that year?

How do they inspect the dies and determine when to change them?

Do you know how Zincolns differ from the previous cents and the inherent problems with the zinc core cents.

Are you aware that the Mint, first and foremost, produces coinage for commerce (for people to buy things) and really doesn't give a wazoo if the dies deteriorate to a critical stage.

If you want higher quality coins, buy uncirculated or proof sets.

But these are the questions you should research .. it will help you come to (probably) a different conclusion.

ie, talk to someone that does metal stampings that has to be high quality and talk to them about the us mint coins, high speed rates and output and problems that you see.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Mike185 likes this.
  18. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

I really do understand the idea of deterioration doubling. It's simple wear and tear at the base edge of the strike image, allowing for a "fat" impression followed by a steep drop to the still sharp deeper imprint of the strike. Some strikes might favor one side so you might get wear and tear faster on one side hence the angled double die deterioration. But I don't think you can get double die deterioration favoring one angle on one side of the coin and also favoring a different angle on a different side of the coin. Much less having deterioration stop and produce a sharp edge to do another deteriorating slope for it to double like that.

19. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

My point exactly! there should be more die doubling deterioration on many of the 2001 coins. Lot's of it by what you're suggesting. But coin after coin, I'm still looking for anything that has lots of double die deterioration, let alone one that has double double die deterioration.

I'm actually not complaining about the quality of the circulated coin I found at all. I have uncirculated too, but I like finding my coins, not so much as buying them, not as much fun.

20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm sorry, but it's Die Deterioration Doubling caused by repeated metal flow under pressure. It's not a problem if you're trying to think this through and understand it, but if you believe something else is happening, then you're wrong.

@paddyman98 gave you some excellent links to understand the coin and die making process. Did you read them? Here is another one. Hopefully this will help.

http://www.coinnews.net/2013/04/17/u-s-mint-at-san-francisco-coining-press-room/

If you don't believe it's DDD, then what do you propose is causing the "doubling"? It's easy to say "I don't understand it so it can't be true". Read Paddyman's links and then search the CT archives for Die Deterioration doubling. There are lots and lots of examples. The come back with questions. You'll get honest answers that will help you learn the minting process

Mike185 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  21. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I think when a tool hard steel die starts deteriorating that it is really fast. A long longevity, slow surface deterioration, and a short, fast death.

I use tool hard steel for various things and it is very durable (lathe cutting, etc), but when it starts severely failing it's fairly fast and traumatic.

Draft saved Draft deleted