2001 D penny doubling

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyrics, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Lyrics

Lyrics Giving this one more chance with lots of hope

20170714_014359.jpg 20170714_014359.jpg 20170714_014352.jpg Alright here's a penny for you. There is obvious doubling on it. Very heavy on the date also in Liberty also in the back on the e on one and e on cent. also around lincoln's face bust... etc.

and strangely sometimes the doubling is to the left (mint mark) or to right (date)

ok i cant find a coin like this anywhere.

first can someone explain why this doubling happened? Then can someone please explain what kind of doubling it is?

Thank in advance to all of you for your polite, educational, constructive future posts. Remember not all of us know what you know.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lyrics

20170714_014315.jpg

Attached Files:

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I believe what you have is caused by "Die Deterioration Doubling". When Dies get worn down around the edges of the design they can produce this kind of
    doubling image. It cost money to make money so the mint get as much use out of the Dies as they can.

Lyrics likes this.
  5. Lyrics

thank you very much.
    Everyone agree?

and why cant i find this year and doubling error anywhere?

and as such does this coin have value?

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I hope someone else will agree. The reason you will not find much of any info on this type of Error is due to it being a more common type of Error that does not bring a premium of value with it. Here is a link with some info.
    http://www.error-ref.com/die-deterioration-doubling/

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The coin doesn't have a premium, it is worth one cent. That type of doubing is very common.

8. Lyrics

thank you all for your educational and valuable info.

Draft saved Draft deleted