2001 D Jefferson Nickel struck on already struck Cent (6 cent piece)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Brian Nguyen, Jun 12, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Please don't get it "stabbed". That might damage it. Get it slabbed. ;)

LOL. My phone's autocorrect has done the very same thing. Drives me nuts sometimes, but autocorrect helps me with my fat-fingered typos, so I don't turn it off. Sometimes I really want to, though. It's both helpful AND infuriating! :banghead:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brian Nguyen

Brian Nguyen Active Member

LoL. Yeah, those auto corrected are annoying sometime. I turn mine off lol. Unfortunate, I wont stabbed the coin but sure slabbed the coin :).

4. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I am glad someone corrected me before you too a knife to it...

In any case, fantastic error. I found in a roll of new nickels a 2016 nickel struck over a 2015 nickel. That is an incredibly rare sort of error, and if you have a true dual mint coin, I would expect it to be in the same league.

BTW - I am not 100% sure the coin dealer was trying to rip you off - it may well be that $1500 is a fair buy price (who knows?), but if they knew it was from two mints but did not tell you, that is a little underhanded.

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Yeah thats the real deal. 1500 going going gone. Run there

6. Brian Nguyen

Thank you very much every one for the inputs and the kind words! I also post this else where and lucky enough to have Mike Diamond check it out and his statement was "The area needs to be inspected under a microscope. If the host coin was truly missing the mintmark, then this error is worth well in excess of $1500. I'd guess anywhere between $3500 and $6000". Mike Diamond.
    Also, I don't think I'm going to depart it. Once in a lifetime find. I will get it slabbed and to be verify (Dual Mint), and will pass it down to my next generation and the story behind it :).

Silverhouse and JBK like this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Let us know how the slabbing comes out.:woot:

8. Brian Nguyen

I will send it in with some of mine other coins once I renew my membership with PCGS. I will update the thread with the result. Wish me luck with the Dual Mint guys. Also, I dont know if I should slabbed with PCGS or NGC for this. I'd been using PCGS but not NGC yet. So what is you guys recommendation? Before I renew with PCGS as I have none experiences with NGC or ANACS.

9. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I had my super rare error done by NGC because I had a question in advance and pcgs would not answer emails. I think (not 100% sure) that either NGC or pcgs is ok for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted