2001 D 25c New York die clash?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bargainbidder, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Bargainbidder

Bargainbidder Well-Known Member

My son received this in change today so I am skeptical. At first glance I thought it came out of a pond or sewer but under loop and then scope it appears to be a die clash of some sort. Weight is 5.69g and diameter is correct and non magnetic. Or did exposure to the environment and PMD cause this? Thanks for looking. 20211016_165743.jpg 20211016_165821.jpg Image_2021-10-16 16_49_59_412.JPG Image_2021-10-16 16_50_54_943.JPG Image_2021-10-16 16_51_17_686.JPG Image_2021-10-16 16_51_57_661.JPG Image_2021-10-16 16_54_46_450.JPG Image_2021-10-16 16_55_00_800.JPG Image_2021-10-16 16_54_09_527.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

All I'm seeing is a hacked up environmentally damaged quarter.

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Agreed:yack::yack:buy a coke with it,wait I forgot pretty sure their much more than just 25 cents now due to inflation.

Bargainbidder likes this.
  5. Bargainbidder

Lol...I remember those good ole days when pop bottles were a quarter. Pop the cap off with built in opener on the side gulp it down and turn in the bottle for a nickle.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What exactly do you think a die clash is and where do you see it?

7. Bargainbidder

The horizontal lines on reverse seem to show a pattern which affected quality of strike. I know coin has been in circulation 20 years and wondering if coin marks and circulation could make parallel imprints as are on reverse? Thanks

Attached Files:

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

A die clash is where the upper and lower dies come together without a planchet between them and they leave marks on each other. Here is an Indian Head Cent I have where you can see the wreath ribbon behind the Indian Head. I don't see any evidence of anything like this on yours.
    thumbnail_IMG_0342.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0343.jpg

9. Bargainbidder

Thank you for the information and explanation. Could this coin have been a pendant at one time that may have caused the impressions or reverse?

10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'm sorry @Bargainbidder I've looked long and hard at your pix. I fail to see anything other than PMD possibly including parking lot attributions. All I see is a badly damaged 25 cent piece.

11. Bargainbidder

Thank you for trying @masterswimmer I had a feeling it was damaged somehow and just curious if anyone had come across something similar and knew.

masterswimmer likes this.
  12. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

You're welcome. I seriously tried to find the slightest thing that would help your cause, to no avail.

Don't stop looking. Your search will eventually lead to success. Be persistent.

Kentucky and Bargainbidder like this.
  13. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted