2000 Sacagawea Dollar Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Aslpride, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

Hello, I just got a new microscope camera and it help me to take up close picture to get better feedback. Yesterday, I met a coin dealer regarding to 1964 proof set. I decide to buy one bank issued roll of 2000-P Sacagawea Dollar. I found two different type of error. I would like to share with you all and see if it's common error?

Out of 25 coins, two coins have toned (dark gold) from edge of roll. It's nice. Only three of them are normal. 19 coins have same die crack/hairlines/chip and last three coins have same die break/crack.

Here's image of same die crack/hairlines/chip on all 19 coins.

Observe die chip on edge of sholder and rim...

[​IMG]

Reverse die crack near rim and hairlines beneath "UNI"...

[​IMG]

Here's image of same die break/crack on all 3 coins.

Observe's surface have tiny bumps all over the planchet. (I know there's name for it, but I can't find it in google) The scanned picture isn't clear, but all three coins have same texture surface...

[​IMG]

Reverse die break/crack...

Die crack line on "United"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Die crack between "D-O" from Dollar

[​IMG]

Die break from "ONE" to the rim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it's cool to find same variety on each coin instead of unique error.

Since I got Microscope camera from two days ago. I will use it often as I have handful of error coins and I will share with you all in follow weeks. Some of them may not be consider as error, but some of them are cool error. Alright, let's discuss on this post. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

No feedback? Did I said something wrong or wrong information to share? Thanks.

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

With a Microscope, differences in coins is relatively easy to find.

Die cracks are relatively common.

Die scratching and die polishing marks are relatively common.

Neither of the above two situations are considered error's as much as "within production tolerance". Using a microscope to find them is also considered no big deal.

Keep looking though. Perhaps you'll find something with a bit more significance which will generate a bit more interest.

5. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

Thank you, that's all I need as my question asked if it's common or not. Yes, I am still searching different coins in my hand. I did find some unique coins, but lately, I have showed the coins in less interesting to see the level of interesting in this forum. It's not always to strike the best coin everyday, but see the level of interesting will allow me to know what to show and what not to show. I am new to this forum and want to find rare coins in my hand. :)

I did find a Nickel from 1951 with weak "S" mint on reverse, but is it rare or common. What are you looking for? What kind of error that will bring interesting to discuss on?

Thanks.

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, where are you originally from?

7. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

From South California, I realized my profile didn't included which state. I will add it. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted