2000 Sacagawea Dollar .... are they all clad coins?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dbeck22, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

You called them gold multiple times and then asked if there was a “silver/gold half”. Sounds like you were asking if there was a gold part of the clad, which there is not.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dbeck22

dbeck22 Member

ok but the Sacagawea coin that I have is a very light gold color and it does not have 3 layers ... it has 2 layers ... which is exactly like the susan b anthony.... Thats what i'm wanting to know.

4. dbeck22

dbeck22 Member

sorry i didn't mean gold , i meant gold colored

5. dbeck22

dbeck22 Member

they came in a set from the mint, there is a susan b , a sacagawea , and a george washington dollar

6. dbeck22

dbeck22 Member

Here are some pics of my coins. I also put a regular looking Sacagawea beside the coins so you can see the difference in the colors 20180613_171645.jpg 20180613_171700.jpg 20180613_171927.jpg 20180613_171932.jpg

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks normal and all three layers are there. Typically when the blank is punched from the strip the layers get "smeared" in the opposite direction of that of the punch resulting what appears to be a "thick " outer layer, a thick core and a very thin or practically nonexistent outer layer. that is because the smearing of the core covers the other outer layer. But in your last picture you can see all three layers.

dbeck22 likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

A freshly minted so-called "golden" dollar looks pretty uniform in its edge coloration, on most examples. You have to look carefully. Putting them in a cardboard holder as shown causes the pure copper inner layer to tone at a very accelerated rate compared to the outer layers. The result is what you see.

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your set did not come from the mint. An outside company put it together.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  10. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The manganese brass of the outer layers is sensitive to environmental exposure and often takes on a muddy brown color that is particularly (IMNSHO) ugly.

11. DMcClain73

DMcClain73 New Member

I do not know how to post my own thread but I have a 2016 Sacagawea dollar with 2015 reverse uncirculated is it valuable ?

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Can you explain a bit better what that means?
    What is on the Reverse?
    Can you post pictures?

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

My best guess is your reffering to the native American series.You think your coin has the reverse design of 2015 instead of 2016,is that even possibleo_Oo_O?.

14. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Without pictures we can't really help but by what i think if thats it could the op's coin be a mule strike(@paddyman98).

Draft saved Draft deleted