2000 P sacagawea coin weird looking

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Write2bfree, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Write2bfree

Write2bfree Active Member

Can anyone tell me if I should wash this coin off with water? It looks nice but don't know if this would devalue a coin. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A $1.00 coin washed with water would be worth.. $1.00

4. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

In its condition, you can do anything to it, and its still worth a dollar.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

value: $1.

cleaned: $1

6. Write2bfree

Honestly I could care less about the value. It just looks really different, like a sketch. I just took someone elses advice that it might be worth more than face value, but I understand it will stay 1 dollar forever. Im assuming this thread might turn into a broken record. Hahaha.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Do anything you want to the dollar coin and in the end, it's still worth one dollar. :)

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I suspect that this is one of the earliest production coins. 2000 was the first year for the Sacagawea "golden dollar" and the Mint immediately ran into problems because the finish started turning an ugly puke greenish-brown in circulation. They experimented with different "washes" for treating the planchets prior to striking the coins and eventually succeeded in correcting the problem.

Some less-than-honest hucksters on SleazeBay attempted to cash in on the phenomenon by claiming that these coins had an experimental finish. Sorry, but this coin is only worth $1.

Chris

green18, Paul M. and Write2bfree like this.
  9. Write2bfree

Thank you chris...this was what I was looking for, an explanation.

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The explanation for this coin: it is a dirty, circulated, average dollar coin. One of the criticisms of the "golden" coins was that they tended to take on a dirty, unattractive appearance quite quickly. Your coin is an example of this.

green18 likes this.
  11. Write2bfree

Its not that badddd haha....after looking at 179 of them you grow fond of their dirty smiles

12. Write2bfree

Why so bitter? just a coin. Hahaha

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not bitter at all. Just realistic (which can sometimes come across as bitter or mean). I don't intend to - I intend to come across as straight shooting and honest.

14. Write2bfree

awesome.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I always liked the young Jean Baptiste.......

16. darlene mckeehan

darlene mckeehan New Member

Do you have a pic.of this "dirty coin".i alsohave one in question.thanks

17. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I've seen some really strange looking Sac dollars, SBA dollars, and Pres dollars roll hunting. The finishes run the entire gamut from shiny or dull/satin to dirty and gouged. And, the toning colors vary from gold to orange. Small dollar coin roll hunting is one of my favorites!

Draft saved Draft deleted