2000-P Sac dollar error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Norman Asis, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Norman Asis

Norman Asis Active Member

Good evening everyone! It's been over a week since my last post. I took the advice of a fellow member bookb4coins and shifted my DD hunt on Lincoln pennies. After a day or two of sorting and examining pennies, I took a break and gave my eyes some needed rest.
    Earlier today i decided to check how much dollar coins I have. I started with the SBAs. Next were the presidential coins and lastly the Sacs. So I went ahead and grouped them by year, and then by mint mark. I came upon this 2000-P Sac which looked a little odd. I initially noticed a doubling on the letter B from the word Liberty on the obverse. I initially set it aside and continued grouping the rest of the coins.
    After I finished sorting, I went and re checked the 2000-P. I don't know how to describe it so I'll just post the image and hopefully find out what kind of error it is, is it due to deteriorating die? Mint error? Or was it due to environmental exposure. Hoping to learn from all of you. Thanks!

IMG_20171022_210848805.jpg IMG_20171022_210618818_HDR.jpg IMG_20171022_210803572_HDR.jpg IMG_20171022_210544118_HDR.jpg IMG_20171022_210449621_HDR.jpg IMG_20171022_195945708_HDR.jpg IMG_20171022_200034085_HDR.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks to me like die deterioration. The reverse really looks like it served it purpose and then some. Dies is starting to slowly crumble near the rim, and the lettering has been polished quite a bit lowering the detail and depth. Definitely a LDS piece.

4. Norman Asis

Thank you for your input. $1 dollar to spend, I need 50 more to get my son the new Super Mario game.
    Quick question, as I mentioned earlier, I am sorting my dollar and half dollar coins to see which coins I should hold on too and which ones I can add to my kids game fund. With all the experimental rinse and finishes the Sac dollar , especially the 2000 ones, how can one tell which finish or rinse is sought by collectors? It's the same thing with the SBA dollar coin, not so much the rinse/finish but the different tonings, more noticeable on the 79 -D. Saw a SBA coin that was sold for over a thousand due to it's toning and of course it's grade and condition. For some reason I actually like this coin. Any resources that you can recommend that help me out. Planning to post some on line to sell. Just don't want to make a wrong choice on which ones are keepers/ spenders. Thanks

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Forget about the "Improper Rinse" that was associated with the 2000 Sac. The problem arose because so many of the first coins turned a "puke-colored greenish brown" that was rather unsightly. The Mint finally adjusted the rinse to prevent this. None of these, with or without the proper finish, are worth a premium.

As for the toning on the SBA, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and sometimes, rainbow toning on certain coins of most any denomination can attract strong bidding by people who collect "toners".

I once bid $1200 on a beautifully-toned 1883CC Morgan dollar that was in an NGC MS65 slab. I lost by $50. A week or two later, another 1883CC NGC MS65 with nearly identical toning was listed on eBay, so I placed a bid of $1250 on it. When the auction closed, I was the winner at $511.

Chris

Oldrdawg likes this.
  6. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

It's the way of the world. All you need is two people who want the same thing at the same time to win (or lose) big at auctions. I'm glad your patients saved you a chunk of change.

7. Norman Asis

Thanks for your advice. I just don't want to miss something that is worth holding on to. I have a bunch of kennedy half dollars that would probably grade nicely if submitted. Same with the SBA dollar. What are your thoughts on coin submission for grading?

I want to just sell them on offer up or something but I don't know how to price them correctly. Do you know a good reference or guide book for selling ungraded coins? And Im pretty sure that coin shops probably laugh at me if I try to sell it to them. I set aside the ones that I want for my collection.
    I want to someday be able to bid on a coin like you did.

Draft saved Draft deleted