2000 p experimental quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rodriqus Green, Jun 5, 2020.

1. No copper layer front side edge high raised

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am not an error expert. However I do try to look for the simple answer before I consider the expense of having something authenticated. When the state quarter series was introduced, there were many, many companies plating them to include in curio pieces. Mike Meezak got wealthy selling gold plated state quarters on TV...... I don’t mean to dampen your excitement. But look at it with an open mind. Perhaps weigh it to see if plating made it heavier for example. Rule out the obvious before you invest in an expensive disappointment.

Oldhoopster and green18 like this.
  4. 5.7 g

Attached Files:

5. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

I agree with Randy. The weight you posted is a normal weight with tolerances (5.67g). You posted a 2000 P quarter. The info you posted was for 1999 experimental strikes of State quarters, all of which are known. There are some experimental strikes of 2000 quarters, but I believe what you have is something that is plated post mint.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I used to or still have, I'm not sure anymore, 3 state quarters from various years all "missing" the copper on the edge. This is from a light plating that happened sometime later after they left the mint. Yours is plated as well.

7. That's a big help I just sent it off so earlier so I wish I coulda came cross sum like this earlier

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Where did you send it?

9. But I don't get wouldn't it still b flat around the edge instead of deep pressed my rim real high I can feel it wen I rub my figures cross it??? It's thicker then the others to??

10. Well I just gave it to my pops I kinda think it's best for me to do he said waas gonna send it off

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

At least take it by a dealer and let them look at it.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. I did they act like they don't know what I was talking about

Draft saved Draft deleted