2000 Lincoln penny error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dj67, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

Hello,
    Going trough some pocket change, came across this one which it looks as if Lincoln has a mustache Thanks Have a Nice Day!

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Hmm. Whenever I see a new member posting questions on "is this an error?", 90% of the time I expect to see post-mint damage. I'm no expert, but this looks intriguing to me.

I know there are varieties where Abe's beard is doubled:

https://www.thespruce.com/extra-beard-penny-error-768752
    http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ArticleId=3811

but I've never seen this one and couldn't find it in a quick Google search.

Knowing what I do know of the process, I don't see how this could be made at the U.S. Mint, though.

Looking forward to hearing from the real experts here.

Either way, it's a cool find. Congrats!

Dj67 likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I don't know if it's an error or a variety, but there has been a discussion here about a 2000 cent that is known as the "camel lips" version, or something like that. I wrote that I thought it was because Abe spent all that money upgrading his PC's for Y2K and then nothing happened.

I think you are showing us the "camel lips" variety.

With software now creating hubs, rather than old school reducing machines, almost any wacky thing is possible (see the many window pane varieties in the Nebraska Homestead ATB quarter) but most of them had to be done intentionally by Mint jokers.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    SmokinJoe, cpm9ball and Dj67 like this.
  5. u812?

u812? Better-Known Member

This coin does not have much wear on it so it looks like his beard from in front of his ear to his neck looks wrinkled instead of smooth or beardy looking.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It looks like an abraded die. The lips don't connect to the nose or chin.
    Cool variety! I will have to keep my eyes peeled.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Wouldn't it be cool to come across a solid roll of these, still shiny and red? With multi-strike machines, with multiple pairs of dies, it's a pipe-dream.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yeah, it reminds me of a thread last week about the 69D missing FG. Those in the beginning sold for a fortune.
    But, again I am in Denver, we don't see to many Phillys here.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

LOL! And I am close enough to Philly, that with a stout tailwind, I might be able to pee there. (Two things: 1} that's an exaggeration, and 2} the place often smells like somebody already has.) In truth, I am at the extreme western edge of the Philly media market. On the other side of the hill I am on, all broadcast media comes from the midstate.

Dj67 likes this.
  10. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

Lol I'm a stones throw from Philly and I know EXACTLY what you're saying,

11. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

..... that's strange. Don't know what to make of it.

Dj67 likes this.
  12. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

Hi Tyler,
    What caught my eye mostly was the back side of his head , it looks to be more narrow then on other pennies.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  13. Duane Charter

Duane Charter Member

It must be unbearable to live in Philadelphia where you never see Denver or San Francisco coins...!

14. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

Thank you
    Thank you Dugmeister for the links, quite a bit of info. I've always been truly interested in learning, especially when it comes to coins.

15. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

Hi Duana Carter,
    Actually I live in New Jersey, and we have a good amount of Denver coins, it's San Francisco we don't see as often, at least from what I've seen.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

No, not really. We have credit cards, debit cards, and the USPS. In fact, I'm led to believe Dr. Franklin may have developed the Post Office while in Philadelphia between trips to Europe to "scam babes". As we have seen above, we do occasionally see Denver coins, even if they often look as if they walked here.

17. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

https://www.cointalk.com/posts/2814344/
    Hi Dougmeister,
    I relisted this coin in coin chat, where I have received more input on it, I'll try to attach a link for ya, thanks again.

18. gary sr

gary sr New Member

i also have found one thats exactly like the one shown, anymore info on this found yet ?

19. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Fascinating, but don't have time . . . leaving the office now . . . will have to remember to come back later.

20. Lance Tumlinson

Lance Tumlinson New Member

The IN GOD WE TRUST on the P penny, the “TRUS T” looks like that on mine. Plus he has the extra beard hair as well. So two errors on the P penny 9ED28384-06FE-4ADD-A163-C77B3D6BE836.jpeg 41280416-89CF-4588-924B-9ADFA165BA2E.jpeg

21. Duane Charter

Duane Charter Member

I think San Francisco is doing mostly proof coins now. Kind of messes up my collections. Some collector books don't even have room for "S" coins anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted