2000 health quarter over weight

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by R_rabbit, Mar 31, 2019.

1. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

1316738B-B0AE-4010-AC40-661E0D256575.jpeg E90DCA1B-7E6D-4720-8292-CC431BF660E5.jpeg EAAB6B4A-D75F-49B3-BF17-18D8EFB76FD2.jpeg Hi everyone:)
    Finally got a scale!
    Was going through my quarters and found this rough one that is over weight. At 5.10g

Canadian Quarter weight
    2000-present 4.40 g
    1968–1999 5.05 g
    1967–1968 5.83 g
    1953–1967 5.83 g

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Could it be struck on a 1999 planchet? I don't know canadian coinage but i love that disign!!

4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

An overweight health coin - that's a bit of an oxymoron :angelic:

5. R_rabbit

Yes, I’m guessing it’s probably on a 1999 planchet. As far as I know it’s the only one that is over weight. Yet how large is one planchet sheet? There must be a few more out there:)

6. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

As I've told you on the other sites, the weight of the millenium quarters is 5.05 grams, NOT 4.4. You need to look at the correct section of your reference material or find the CORRECT reference material .. try Charlton or Haxby. Only the standard circulating CARIBOU quarters are 4.4g. Your coin is normal in everything.

Oldhoopster and Patrick M like this.
  7. R_rabbit

They deleted my post on the other site. What a joke. That other site needs a major improvement!
    I am going to check my other health quarters and get back to you on the weight. I am sure that it should be 4.4g.

8. R_rabbit

9. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Well then, you'd better tell them that they are WRONG. wikipedia is about as poor a reference site that there is. ANYONE can write in and give their definition of something. Look it up on google or look at a numismatic reference. You posted the question and I've given you the answer 3 times now .. normal is 5.05 grams.

Patrick M and LakeEffect like this.
  10. R_rabbit

2D027968-2565-48E5-AC81-6AB03ADE4B0D.png Are you a stalker that goes to different sites and tell people they are wrong?
    Well someone should also tell mint .ca as well.

11. R_rabbit

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  12. Patrick M

Patrick M Razor edge MD

You have commemorative coin here:
    Mintage: 35,470,900

Country Canada
    Type Circulating commemorative coin
    Year 2000
    Value 25 Cents
    0.25 CAD = 0.19 USD
    Metal Nickel
    Weight 5.05 g
    Diameter 23.8 mm
    Thickness 1.58 mm
    Shape Round
    References KM# 373, Schön# 374

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces336.html

Oldhoopster and LakeEffect like this.
  13. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

As I stated now for the 4th time .. this was not a "circulation" quarter. The circulating quarters have a caribou on the reverse, The millennium coins were commemms, essentially, and all the quarters weighed 5.05 grams, just like the 1990 mintage and are 100% nickel. If you use a reference, look in the correct section .. you would not find it in the "circulating" quarters from the Mint store. It was a commemm.

I think that the reason that your post was removed from the other site was because you got snarky, like now. You asked for help and we gave it to you. Here is something for your reading pleasure from the RCM:
    https://www.coinsunlimited.ca/canad...llennium-series-25-cent-achievement-coin-roll

Oldhoopster likes this.
  14. R_rabbit

Thank you :)
    I appreciate all of your help!
    Wether I am right or wrong about something I’m glad we can come to an agreement. With proper information where a person can check the proper information.

As for that other website (coin)(community) is a joke. Every hobby forum format should be exactly like this one. Bouncing through different webpages why? 300kb pics? I was on that site for an hour trying to upload one picture. Than they deleted my post for no reason. Joke!
    I love ct!

15. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I've never had a problem with the CCF site; easy to navigate once you bookmark the different forums that you will visit. The photo size is a little sparse, though. I'm on there much more than here.

16. R_rabbit

35C0FE1D-0B70-4AC5-9059-BE1090B3DE02.jpeg Oh I’m still not done yet:)

Here is a 2006 quarter commeritive like you said. But it’s at 4.43 so is this under weight?

17. R_rabbit

18. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

No, the 1999 to the 21st century quarters were "plated" coins marked with p (looks like a mintmark, but it means plated) are all 4.4 g. And they included both caribou and commemm coins. As the cost of plachette/coin alloys increased, mints everywhere started using different alloys and started many series by being plated steel. You have to be careful by reading anything put out by the RCM .. it's more like a high-grade department store that sells thing for 200-500% over face.

19. R_rabbit

It’s really interesting how they decided to use the planchet weight at 5.05g just for the commemorative 2000. Makes me think they had left over planchet from the 1999s. Then changed for the caribou.

On another note I went and weighed the other health quarters and they are all around the same weight 5.10g

Yes rcm wants an arm and leg for their coins. It can be difficult collecting here in Canada.

20. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

They used the 5.05 100% nickel for every unplated quarter from 1990 to2001. From 1968 to 1989 (21 years) they used 5.07 100% nickel planchettes. Once they quit silver in 1967, they used nickel til 2001, then went plated

21. R_rabbit

:)Thank you @Bill in Burl .
    I like to learn as much as I can about coins. To have a better understanding.
    Apologies,on the stalker comment earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted