2000 D State Quarter with Mutiple Mint Made Errors

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Itiswhatitis, Nov 7, 2019.

?

What i should start to sell it for on ebay?

1. $0.99

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. ?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Itiswhatitis

Itiswhatitis Member

2000 State Quater with Mint Made Error on Obverse and Reveres side & Dropped Letter A and Number 2 on reverse side
    I am posting my quarter today on ebay but not sure what it maybe worth not graded.
    Can anyone help me out on a good starting off price?

Have a little hard time uploading the other photos. But i will try again and post it as a comment to show the reverse side on the coin..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Itiswhatitis

Itiswhatitis Member

[​IMG]Recerse side of the coin

Attached Files:

4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

If these were dropped letters where do you believe the A or 2 came from? Both are much larger than anything on the coin and the 2 is backwards like it would be if it was a vise job.
    IMO the obverse is post mint damage but I'm not a expert. Ask the error coin experts: @Fred Weinberg; @JCro57; @paddyman98; @Paddy54; @furryfrog02; @desertgem; et al.

5. Itiswhatitis

Itiswhatitis Member

I dont know that much about coins i am still looking up more about these Dropped Mint Made letter / number cause i am still stuck on my another quarter with the a Dropped letter S as well.
    Whats a vise job?
    I am posting it up on ebay i just would like a little help on what i should make the starting price?

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

A vise job is when somebody with nothing better to do puts a coin in a vise and squeezes it, creating damage.

Don’t try to peddle that coin on eBay as a Mint error. It’s just a damaged coin.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  7. Itiswhatitis

Itiswhatitis Member

Look at this photo pls...and let me know what you see

Attached Files:

8. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

That coin is just damaged. Hard to say how it happened, but it happened after it left the mint.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Folks with nothing better to do damage pocket change all the time. It’s like these computer bug people. They just do it to get a reaction from some innocent and unknowing person. Your quarter has been damaged. These are not mint errors. I am sorry.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

IT'S NOT AN ERROR! Your coin was damaged after it left the mint. It is not a dropped letter.

Please, do not list this on eBay as an error coin. Best case is it will confuse new collectors, and worst case, is that you will be cheating the person who buys it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

True.. That's not a mint error of any kind.
    It is DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged.

Please don't list it on ebay nor etsy!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Evan Saltis and Inspector43 like this.
  12. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Question here, If it was pre mint damage which its not don't they have a quality control at least looking for that kind of Obvious damage that really sticks out and you would notice it..

13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Another hack trying to make a quick buck at the expense of others. Seeing a lot of them here recently. Maybe because it's the holiday season and they want money for gifts? IDK. Just chaps my ...

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's people like you who give numismatics a bad name. If you need to make money that badly, get a second job.

Chris

Evan Saltis and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Before you decide what is an error you need to understand the process of minting coins. Then look at the coin and imagine how it could happen at the mint.

Evan Saltis and Oldhoopster like this.
  16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

17. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

do NOT list this. Just don't.

Inspector43 likes this.
  18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The Quality Control does not check each and every coin. It is a bulk and very quick check. So the quality check may help them remove 90% of a potential error but if some went through on the previous batch they don't bother. They also check the coins to determine the cycle life of the die and whether maintenance is needed. It's hard to inspect the die as it's walloping hundreds of times a minute, so they use the coin inspection to help identify with die maintenance/replacement.

The "quality" of the coin is not so important as the result is coinage that is identified for currency; so people receiving the money knows that it is money. Of course, when they make Proofs, Quality is of much higher importance and the process shows that.

19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Post Mint Damage.

reminds me of when my kids used to use coins for artsy stuff.
    They'd try to hammer a nail through it. I taught them how to use a drill instead (to use a toothpick and make a Christmas tree coin). Of course, at the beginning they'd use too large a bit and make marks like you see on your quarter. At least it looks similar.

Most coin collectors cannot even fathom the million of uses of coins for other hobbies, etc. Just search for coin used for making castles, shoes, floors, toilet seats, melting pennies and making swords .. the uses are endless with pocket change that psychologically, is free. And, when you dismantle your hobby thing .. your coin is still worth face value. Can't say that with other materials you buy.
    upload_2019-11-8_9-4-31.png

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I don't really know what to say about the OPs posts, pictures, and coins (yes, I do, but I won't) but I can say this about damaging ordinary items for fun.
    We, as kids, would place the large double-headed nails on RR tracks to be run over and flattened out. Afterwards, we had miniature swords.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  21. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I suppose that we’ve all been there at one point or another. We find something unfamiliar and begin to think we have something unique. It is, of course, a first. I can’t blame someone from jumping to a conclusion, wrong as it might be. Exuberance can cause temporary blindness.

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted