2000-D Nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Shag, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Shag

Shag Member

I found this coin today in my collection and have no idea if this is an error.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    2000-d_5c.jpg 2000-d2_5c.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What does the rest of the coin look like?

4. Shag

Shag Member

I will post additional photos.

Thank you.

5. Shag

Shag Member

Please see additional photos.

Thanks
    2000-d_5c_o1.jpg 2000-d_5c_r1.jpg

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Damaged! Spend it!

Chris

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Shag

Shag Member

Thanks for the comments.

It looks like that the bottom of the coin has two rims that is visible on the obverse and reverse.

I can see the damage on the rim above E Pluribus but the hook that curves toward Monticello appears to be part of the coin. The little raised 2000-d5c_rim1.jpg 2000-d5c_rim2.jpg curve seems to have aged and it has aged like the rest of the coin.

I have been looking more at this coin and have attached a couple more photos of the rim. The rim appears to have a crack beginning at the 7:00 o'clock position which is in line where the double rim of the coin begins, and ends around the 4:00 o'clock position.

However, I freely admit I know next to nothing about coins but trying to learn.

Any comments would be appreciated.

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's PMD. Notice the scrape marks at the rim and where you showed it in the first pic. Now look at the rest of the coin. Lots of dings and scratches. Those are the characteristics of circulation damage. This type of damage cannot happen during the minting process.

Keep learning about the how coins are minted. You can probably find stuff here in the archives and there are sites like http://www.varietyvista.com/ and http://doubleddie.com/ that give information. These are a great way to start learning

Shag likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted