2000 Cent with no Date or Mint Mark

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CopperKing559, Dec 17, 2011.

1. CopperKing559

CopperKing559 New Member

Hey guys.

New to the site. I know how much everyone on forums loves pictures, but I don't have a camera that can get a clear picture of this cent.

You can barely make out the year 2000, and you cannot see a mint mark at all, even with a jewelers loop. Everything else on the coin seems to be in order. It looks as if it was struck, but not hard enough to do much more than leave a barely visible date. It is so faint, it feels completely smooth to the touch. Anyone have an idea on value?

I was thinking it could have been rubbed off, but several things lead me to believe otherwise;
    When Zincolns are scratched, they show a white-ish color, and pick up the green patina quickly. The rest of the coin seems to also be in fairly good condition for a 12 year old coin, so it's not from any normal use.

On a side note, I've found several cents that were struck slightly off-center, some up to the point where it looks like the rim is sheared off, but it's because of the positioning of the strike. I checked eBay and they seem to be fairly, "run-of-the-mill." Anyone have suggestions for a fresh copper-hoarder? I have around 20 lbs. hand-sorted from about 4 boxes.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

well some 2000 cents already have no mintmark but what you probably have is either a fairly worn coin or a grease filled die. as for the slightly off center cents ( MAD's i believe they are called) are hardly worth keeping since you can find tons of them in circulation so unless you have something off center 5% or more i'd say throw it back. And as for copper hoarding are you looking sell them? i would personally sell on ebay since i've seen people paying like $80 for like $50 of copper cents in the end there is a bit of profit but you won't retire off it... but yeah i would do $50 lots or whatever you can fit in a medium flat rate box... anyways hope this helps

4. CopperKing559

CopperKing559 New Member

Well, it definitely is NOT a worn coin. Clean of scratches and marks, hair is clearly visible on the head, and the rim is still in good condition. Not my coin, but here's an example;
    images.jpg

Looks nearly exactly like the 7. It's visible, but not a clear strike. Rather than only 1 digit, the whole date is uniformally faint, but still visible, with no visible mint mark, at all. It's not worn, but looks as if the die barely touched the coin with enough pressure to leave a date. Is it worth getting certified? Or, would I be better off selling it on ebay, to a coin shop, or throwing it in a pile? It's only a 2000, so not much copper value, which is the reason I've even decided to enter the realm of coinage!

As far as ebay, I've given it some thought, but it's almost not worth it unless you have a Ryedale going full speed a few hours a day, or a Penny Miner. I've sorted through approximately 4 boxes of cents and have around 20lbs of copper pennys, wheats included. I've recently purchased a Penny Miser kit to sort a bit faster since I've only hand sorted.

5. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

(Most of this is my personal opinion, not fact)

2000 cents were made at Philadelphia and Denver.

As always, Philadelphia cents do not have a mintmark. Every other denomination minted has a P mintmark (nickels, dimes, etc) since 1979.

If there is a weakly struck date, it is normally struck through grease (which means exactly that). It is an error, but it doesn't have much value. Personally, I wouldn't get it certified.

You may know this, but Zincolns are zinc with a VERY small layer of copper. Therefore, the layer can come off with minor difficulty. That green stuff you are talking about is known as vertigris, which I believe is oxidized copper, which can be present regardless if the zinc is showing

95% of the time when you see an "off-center" coin, it's just that one area of the strike moves slightly towards the edge, making one rim look very thick and one very thin. An error that has value is one that goes past the rim and strikes into where another coin would go. Most of the time they are easily found by the mint, but some go unnoticed

I don't sort copper (yet), so I can't help you with that

6. Michaeljcon

Michaeljcon New Member

7. MadameDu

MadameDu New Member

I keep Finding Them In Tennessee Too! No Mint Marks on 2000, 2018, 2021, 2022. Then today I got a 2020 D and it was in worse shape than the others. Also the A and M are touching, United States of America, on some of the ones without mint marks. What does it all mean?

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You should start a new thread as this one is 11 years old. Include photos of both sides of the coin. Welcome to CT.

9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I have a year 200 cent. No mint mark...edit: a lot of ancient coins were struck a bit off center... DSCN4382~2.JPG DSCN4383~2.JPG
    It's a CAM!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Draft saved Draft deleted