2000 broadstrike cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Shrews1994, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

A few of these are blurry cause my cat wanted my attention on her not the coin. Jealous really... Rubing and licking my hand.... Lol but this one is awesome. CM181214-194026001.jpg CM181214-194041002.jpg CM181214-194525004.jpg CM181214-194554005.jpg CM181214-194802006.jpg CM181214-195309008.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Kinda looks like a plate. Meow would like to know, does it have a bigger diameter compared to other cents? The outside lettering is a lot farther from the edge than normal.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Nice coin. I like to look at the designs along the edge an see how the metal that was once inside the designs of the die get splayed out and pushed towards the edge causing a shadow doubling effect. I see this Plated cents show the zinc underneath as the plating is stretched beyond its thickness in places.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That is exactly what happened. When the Cent was struck it was struck out of the retaining collar, known as the 3rd Die. So the Planchet expanded. Could be almost the size of a nickel.. So yes to bigger diameter.

6. MeowtheKitty

So this would be found in rolls of Nickels?

7. paddyman98

Great acquisition you have there!
    Here are more examples of Broadstruck coins from my own collection -
    2009436-020.JPG 2591113-008+.JPG 3335962-004.JPG 2614666-001.JPG 1990 a.JPG

Mike185, Shrews1994 and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. paddyman98

No.. usually in bags of Cents from the US Mint.. Nickels and Cents are Minted separately.

9. MeowtheKitty

So Meow will never find one CRH...……….How did the OP get paws on it??? How did you find yours?

10. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

11. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Would it be cupped,centered forced or larger diameter or all of the above?Thanks

12. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

I have yet to find a broadstrike and quite curious how these actually end up in rolls. Some seem quite large and I would imagine that these would screw with the rolling process; same with the lovely off-centers as the shape is all wrong.

What kind of roll did you find this one in?

13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Nice find! I’ve never found a broadstruck in circulation.

14. Shrews1994

No it wasn't found. It was gifted.

15. Shrews1994

It was gifted to me. I never found one in circulation either.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. paddyman98

Never in a roll..

You either purchase it, find it in a mint sewn bag or it is gifted to you as the OP stated ;)

Shrews1994 likes this.
  17. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

18. paddyman98

Shrews Cent is just a normal centered Broadstrike and nothing else.. The other types you mentioned are extremely rare to find. I have been collecting these for many years and it is hard to acquire the other types.

tammiGee likes this.
  19. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

paddyman98 did you get a chance to review my post earlier ? 1963-D DDO-002, 2-O-IV+VIII?

20. Shrews1994

Yes. Just A centerd broadstrike. Not a major one. Not the size of a nicked. Not that big of broadstrike. But bigger than a cent. Lol. The edge is thinner because of the die being stretched out.

tammiGee likes this.
  21. Shrews1994

Copyed and pasted.

Cupping is almost always toward the hammer die.

The cause of cupping is not entirely clear. Sometimes it’s guided by a stiff collar that is just barely deployed above the level of the anvil die. But in many cases there is no
    source of physical guidance. That is the case for the two 1999 cents shown below.

[​IMG]

The 1999 cent shown above developed an almost vertical wall as it curled toward the obverse (hammer) die. A corona of exposed zinc formed at the perimeter of the design on both faces

Draft saved Draft deleted