$200 in Silver Certs

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Moonshine, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

I just picked up $200 in silver certificates from a local bank for face. Going to sort through and put them in order. I know there is a least 2 star notes after skimming through them.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

Nice pickup.

4. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

If only you could send them back to yourself or an immidiate relative in 1963 with orders to get silver dollars with them...

5. VACookey

VACookey New Member

Awesome

6. Noobismatist

Noobismatist Junior Member

Sweet pickup

7. airraid1999

airraid1999 Member

great find that is indeed strange find now a days

8. milty456

milty456 New Member

wow

Did you ask for them specifically, or did you ask for singles and pick those out?

9. Moonshine

Quick update:

-earliest notes are 1935B series.
    -two 1935D star notes
    -three 1935E star notes
    -two or three 1957A star notes
    -one 1963B Barr note mixed in
    -the majority of the 1935's are D and E series

10. Moonshine

It's a local bank that I had some great coin finds at in the past. Picked up coins and paid the teller with a series 1988 $50 and started a discussion about old currency and how I collect. She pulls out $200 in blue seal silver certificates that someone recently cashed in so I bought them.

11. milty456

milty456 New Member

12. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

Wow, talk about right place, right time.

Great find.

13. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Excellent find! I'm especially jalous of all of the star notes of the earlier series you got for face... :)

14. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Real nice! I'm curious to know, what is the oldest date? Are there any 1935A's? What are majority of them? Wow I really wish I could get some SC's for face from my bank..

15. Moonshine

We're having company tomorrow so I am putting these away but I took a quick count. It's off by 1 so I may have miscounted. Some of the '35s are in great AU shape. Once I get some time, I'll scan a few. There is also a note that has an alignment issue with the serial # touching the "AMERICA" and the seal touching "ONE DOLLAR."

Not sure what to do with all of these. $200 is a decent sized chunk out of my roll searching money. I may just keep some of the better condition notes and sell the rest. Or I may also just sell off some 40% silver and keep them all.

1935B x 3
    1935C x 6
    1935D x 56
    1935E x 52
    1935E star x 5
    1935F x 2
    1935G x 2
    1935H x 2
    1957 x 23
    1957A x 22
    1957A star x 3
    1957B x 22
    1963B x 1

16. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

The 1963B is a Barr note... Do you know about these? First things first, I'm REALLY interested in seeing the error. That sounds real neat. Second off, if you are planning on keeping any, go with the stars.

17. krispy

krispy krispy

+1

Post pics of the 63B and error/SN alignment problem.

As for what to do with the notes:
    Depending on the condition of the rest of the notes, I'd probably sell the rest in a lot auction on eBay for some other collector who might be interested in what you don't want to keep as it's too much money to tie up in circulated notes of more common dates. Use that money to buy other examples in choice or gem grades and your money will be in a much better place, with a nicer looking collection that's more likely to retain its value down the road. IMO.

18. Moonshine

I mentioned the Barr note a few posts up I think. I already have a bunch of Barrs so I'll add this one to the collection. I'll scan the error hopefully on Sunday.

19. Moonshine

I think that's what I may do. Thanks. I'll get pics up Sunday hopefully.

20. floirdatinman

floirdatinman New Member

you are very lucky i too have asked my bank to hold back any old notes they get but was told by law they have to turn them in and could not sale them or reissued
    lucky to have a bank that will do that for you

21. idreamofgreenie

idreamofgreenie Active Member

Luckly for us there is a "mutilated" drawer, I am rarely turned away from simply asking about what they might have...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.