200?D dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ratpack7, Jan 22, 2011.

1. ratpack7

ratpack7 New Member

Interesting find last night at work.
    200rosie.jpg
    there is a faint 4 showing
    200rosieclose.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Struck through grease, possibly.

4. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

i say pmd... below the year there are scratches that appear to match up with the smeared 4... but the mintmark looks like maybe D/D...

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I think you're right. There are grooves going right across it. I also noticed the mm.

6. coop

coop Senior Member

It is grease filled example. Note the rim has no making on it next to where the 4 should be. It would be impossible to remove the 4 without touching this area. Also the D/D theory is impossible. The mint marks were placed on the dies after 1990. Just a bit of die movement/deteriation. Just a struck through error (grease)

7. ratpack7

ratpack7 New Member

here is a closer pic
    closeup200.jpg
    The doubled D was the lighting I was trying to show the 4 not the D. and the lines are some kind of metal flow.

8. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Neat. my Dad had some bicentennial Kennedy halves where parts of the words "independence hall" were like that. will have to ask to see them again...

9. ratpack7

ratpack7 New Member

I found a mate for this dime. I think it's interesting as it shows the progression of the die filling with grease/debris.
    100_1727.jpg 100_1728.jpg
    I'm planning on checking for corresponding die marks on the 2 coins to confirm they are from the same die.

Draft saved Draft deleted