$20 star note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by dwhiz, Mar 16, 2024.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Found this in my change $20 star.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

...and a birthday note: April 11, 1976...:D

dwhiz and SensibleSal66 like this.
  4. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I lent my buddy a good chunk of money a few years ago, and he paid me back the other day in cash. Since I had a decent stack, I decided to look through the serial numbers. Found this one ;)

upload_2024-3-16_15-4-2.png

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Fun to keep star notes, if you can afford to, but the larger the denomination, the more difficult it is to find someone willing to pay a premium.

1stSgt22, dwhiz and masterswimmer like this.
  6. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

It was also the year of the potato war in Maine (ME) 1976.

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Worth keeping, condition is pretty good
    and being a star and a birthday note I
    would say a keeper :)

8. VistaCruiser69

That's a lot of money to tie up keeping that star note. Now if the serial number was something super special, that might make it perhaps worth it.

Cherd likes this.
  9. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I always keep a bit of cash in the safe for...... who knows?!

I figured that if I was gonna have some hundreds in the safe anyway, then I may as well hang onto that one. But ya, if I ever get down to my last hundred bucks then I'll definitely have bigger problems on my hands than worrying about star notes! :jawdrop:

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  10. VistaCruiser69

Precisely why old bills in great shape (coins for that matter as well) are found in circulation every day. Either, like what you mentioned above, or when siblings clean out their parents drawers while "treasure hunting" after the last one passes.

In my line of work, it's so common for me to get calls from sibling about a parent's past investment(s). Siblings will go on "treasure hunt's" when their remaining last parent passes, and they come across an old investment statement from 20 + years ago. They see a dollar amount and all hell breaks loose. And what compounds the problem even more is, they see the dollar amount and whatever the interest rate(s) of return were on the documents they have and will calculate and add in the additional interest earned over x number of years from the date on the documents and expect all that be coming to them.

They call up and when they find out that the investment has already been closed out decades ago, they just can't believe it. Deflated, a lot of times they go as far as threaten lawsuit. We provide them with the documents to support the close out and that's the last we hear from them. But it's amazing how hard people fight when they're all pumped up that they found a fortune in their parents junk drawers, safe and files.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Cherd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted