20 Piasters Egypt 1988 Commemorative Police Day

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by pragmatic, Jun 24, 2017.

1. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

This is a rather rare 1988 commemorative issue coin of Police Day. On the reverse is written in arabic يوم الشرطة = Police Day and on the obverse written الشرطة = Police, and 25 January and also in arabic 25 يناير. It is worth to mention that the 25th of January revolution (?) that took place in Egypt in 2011 was a preplanned movement. The first demonstration day (first wave of the 18 days revolution) was meant to be on Police Day reflecting the public rage against alleged police brutality.

20170621_120123.jpg 20170621_120134.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As for the obverse (?, first image), well, I realize that this is the police logo, but I like the other side better. The way the characters and ornaments are arranged on the reverse look attractive ...

Christian

4. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

true, the obverse is the Police Logo, as regards the other side, I will try to simplify it. at the top again, written يوم الشرطة yom al shorta = Police Day, on the left side 1988, on the right side 1408 (hijri islamic calender), inside the right circle عشرون 'eshroon = twenty, in the left circle قرشا qershan [or qersh(a)] below is written in arabic calligraph form (which I don't know): جمهورية مصر العربية gomhuriyyet masr al arabeyya = arab republic of egypt. mentioning arabic calligraph, there are many types of artistic writing in arabic. I would recommend this site to have an idea about arabic and islamic calligraphy. to decide which type of calligraphy is used in this coin I think needs an expert. it is beyond my knowledge :(

chrisild likes this.
  5. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I really like the design of this coin!

pragmatic likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted