20 lire Duchy of Parma

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Meander, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Meander

Meander Well-Known Member

Hi, how would you grade this coin? I cannot tell as I only collect ancient coins. Thanks! 03D63B1A-572D-4F66-A2AE-83CB34C561FE.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

guessing EF, looks like too much wear for AU

Meander likes this.
  4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I can see AU. These usually have some weak/flat struck areas, like the hair from the ear to the ponytail.

Meander likes this.
  5. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

To me I would say low AU. Either way it doesn't matter. It's a beautiful coin. I like the style.

Meander likes this.
  6. Meander

Thanks to all of you! It is a beautiful coin.

7. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Yours is a nice example of the much rarer 1815 20 L (mintage 12,000).The more common 40 L has a mintage of 220,000.

Here's an example of a graded AU 58. (Not my pictures, only my visitor):

Coin Maria Luisa.jpg COIN maria luisa B.jpg CoinMaria1815A.jpg CoinMaria1815r.jpg

Siberian Man, Meander and Numismat like this.
  8. Meander

Thanks again. I do not care that much about the exact grade. After all it isn't my coin. A friend of mine inherited a jar of gold coins from her father. She asked me to sort them out and tell her what would be their value. The majority of the coins were gold Sovereigns of George V in not exactly stellar condition. So I checked the years of mintage and mints against a database on the NGC website and none of them seemed to go over the melt value. This coin was a pleasant exception. I knew it had some collecting value but wasn't sure about the grade. In the end she may want to keep it and sell the rest. And I am even considering buying it from her if she wants to sell it too.

9. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I would send it to NGC for grading. A nice AU coin could easily go for $1000+.

There must be an interesting story about how she got this rare and beautiful coin from the quaint city of Parma, Italy. (Parma is a picturesque small town in Northern Italy, not too far from Milan. The city has great food and a distinct accent. È una piccola città bellissima.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted