20 cent pieces - where to find 'em?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Been watching David Lawrence and Heritage for VG-XF problem-free coins. Any other websites that you folks can recommend?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Find a good dealer and let him know what you are looking for. A good dealer will find 10 times the coins for sale than you ever will.

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Check Great Collections.

I need a coin dealer...:(

5. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

They are pretty common in this grade range, but many times the common ones (1875-S) will be raw since they aren't worth all that much more than the cost of certification.

6. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I got one from David Lawrence for a type set.

7. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Go to a coin show, club, or a coin shop that you trust, and see what they have, but check the prices first, before you go. I have one that I found in a creek, when I was a boy Scout on a camping trip. 1875s/s Last month at our club, we had one on our auction.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

There are a few here I would recommend wholeheartedly........ :)

9. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I may be of assistance to all of you. While I do not have any twenty cent peices in stock right now I can get them.

10. Dougmeister

Medoraman please contact me with your recommendations.

Josh please pm me and we'll talk.

Thanks.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Good advice, sir. I might also add, and not only because of this thread but others too, that the same can be said for other coins/types of interest to the OP. Instead of hunting/searching all over for coins of interest, connecting with a dealer (or even knowledgeable collector who flips on the side) very well may allow him to secure better examples, even if the cost is slightly above what he could pull one off of ebay for. I know I've said this before, and while the OP seems to be convinced it was counterfeit, the Trade he purchased could be viewed as a fine example of why finding a good dealer to work with may be a good idea, at least while still earlier stages of his hobby.

12. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I am sure this is good advice, but some of us folks really enjoy the "hunt" It is my opinion also, this is one of the best ways to get your "education". I do admit that this education can be a bit costly, because mistakes are sure to be made, but such is life :) In the end, it should all work out. I am sure most of the respected collectors followed a similar path.

13. BooksB4Coins

Of course, sir, and for what it's worth, I agree with everything you've said. However, and with the full understanding that I may be reading the OP wrong, I believe the suggestion a fair option, especially if he's having difficulty locating the coin/coins he wants.

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm going to get back to you on that!

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I have one for my Centennial holed set 1876 20c Holed.jpg

crazybob likes this.
  17. Dougmeister

18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

not sure. both are risky. get to know a reputable dealer or buy a slabbed TPG 1. off Ebay with a return policy if you are not happy with it return it.

19. BooksB4Coins

The "Trade dollar fiasco" was self-inflicted; the best thing you could have done for yourself was to have kept and submitted that coin.

As for "safer", the key to being safe is less the venue but knowing what you're buying. All things considered though, in your desired grade range this type is not one to worry excessively about counterfeits, but instead locating a problem free example.

Draft saved Draft deleted