20$ bill misprint

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Youngcoin, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Hello I have a 20 dollar bill with something on poor Andrews face looks to be printed from the mint what do you guys think.

WP_20170816_16_37_47_Pro.jpg WP_20170816_16_37_57_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

It's a teller stamp (rubber ink stamp) mark from the bank. Imagine a paper band that's strapped around a stack of 20's, with yours on top. Someone whacks it with a rubber stamp, and the stamp is not completely on the paper strap, so the edge of it ends up on the top note - yours.

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I agree with @Dave M , post BEP ink stamping.

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

"Soiled". My bank takes things like these out of circulation for destruction. Just like all of those bills marked up with those counterfeit banknote detection pen smudges. You don't pass those back over the counter to customers although something like this might slip through. Our company policy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  6. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Really? I strap search and would bet that more than 10% of the bills have teller stamps, overseas verify stamps, where's George, the random pen or pencil with a total stack/knot amount... are you just sending them back to the terminal you place your vault orders with? I'd bet dollars to donuts they're not destroying them. They most likely just get sorted and go to another bank/branch.

NOS likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If the bill is not very worn, there's no reason to destroy them for something like this.

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Marked / defaced bills are destroyed. Just the way it is. This one may have gotten through, maybe not. Not your call.

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Depends on the organization you are dealing with. My company culls them. Been in the business for 30+ years. I guess some companies have lower standards for their clientele.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's a waste of time and money as there is still plenty of life left in that bill before it needs to be destroyed. Your company is not stopping tellers from stamping bills,
    or from people writing on them with ink, etc. They are spitting into the wind.
    Anal retention is not always a practical thing.

11. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Free flowing insults are not practical either.

Tellers have no reason to "stamp bills" in a modern banking organization. We don't and have not for years. It serves no purpose.

Our customers don't get damaged currency over the counter or through the ATM network. Just the way it is. It doesn't cost the organization anything as currency management is all handled by vendors.

They get "currency" or they get "garbage currency". The garbage does not get passed back to our customers OTC or through ATM.

Currency taken OTC that is not fit for return OTC or through ATM is culled. The "Where's George" type of nonsense doesn't leave the system once it is deposited. I can't imagine going to a teller and having them hand me back that type of nonsense for any type of transaction. It just goes into a spot in the till until it gets sent to the vendor to be destroyed.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  12. u812?

u812? Better-Known Member

Hey, Jacob.....if you don't want the bill, just mail it to me. I could use some easily acquired money.

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  13. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

The vendor may tell you they're sending them back to the fed for destruction but I'm telling you they just go elsewhere. I get fed straps regularly and find (never taped or tattered) stamped and written on bills all the time. Sometimes even cool artwork like bandanas on the dead presidents faces :)

Think of every time that a note changes hands in a legitimate purchase. Depending on your state that piece of paper makes about $.07 every time, guaranteed. That piece of paper will continue to do so until it needs to be destroyed, almost always because circulation has done that already. Taped bills mess up the counting machines and the expensive-toilet paper bills just instigate that happening. That's when they destroy them.

I'm not saying that your organization doesn't play into accommodating a high-brow clientele by not handing icky notes out...I get it. But regardless of what they think and how your organization enables that mindset the world of money doesn't revolve around them. It's there to have a controlled system of value exchange and in turn rake more money back to the government, regardless of the hands net worth.

u812? likes this.
  14. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Thank you guys for all of the responses and as for
    I could too. ;)

15. Coinfrog

Coinfrog New Member

Based on my experience, most banks don't work too hard at retiring notes with stray marks if they're in decent condition.

NOS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted