2 X 1881 S Morgans GTG's

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, May 11, 2017.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

What's your opinion on grade ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

65/66 from the pics but it can't be less than solid for the next grade up which is a gold bean

4. Paddy54

Well no way that this coin is less than a 64.
    I actually put it back......and then thought that's not what you really want to do :woot:
    Then TG I said wait a minute I'm going to pass on those two h 10 ' s . I take the other 1881 s I put back.

And actually this is my take on this coin..
    The place where I purchased it is a larger shop. They sell everything jewelry , art,coins etc... in the show case was a few lids full of junk silver dollars culls, then 3 boxes of 62,63, and 64 coins. I started at the 62 and when through the 3 boxes.
    My take on this is they have so much in store.....no one looked at the coin when they got it.....they just put it in the box by grades.
    Then along came Paddy and bingo score.

5. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

...who knows...with the low 123xxxx serial number...maybe JA himself graded that one ;)

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

They are both badly misgraded. I don't care who graded them, even given the picky attitude towards that date. The first one is a 66 in my eyes, and I would buy it as such, if it were 66 stabbed, for 66 money.

longshot and Paddy54 like this.
  7. Paddy54

Figured out the vams on each the toned coin was sort of easy the other the 63 took me some time. As the S is mashed and has a strange repunched mm.
    But after a few hours they were vams 14 and 14A.
    I appreciate everyone's option now is the tough part . Both coins are under graded.
    1 by two or possibly 3 points . The other the same by possibly 1 point and a +.
    Now here's the next question as I do like the plastic that they are in.
    Should I leave them as knowing that each is a under graded coin from a different time in TPG grading?
    Or...
    Should I crack them out and send them in and roll the dice hopefully getting higher grades and a plus.
    Or....
    Send in the 63 to have it beaned?
    As not a fan of stickers I would consider that last.
    I would personally like to keep them but...
    Can't see holding on to both if a nice profit could be realized to make the next purchase for something else.
    The ball park numbers on a MS-66 81 - S $270/300 MS-65 plus being toned $175./ 250+ ?
    Again thanks for your thoughts .

@SuperDave
    @Cascade
    @jtlee321
    @heavycam.monstervam
    @Seattlite86
    @Pickin and Grinin

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  8. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I would go for a gold bean on the rattler if only to preserve the holder. Also to increase value.Unless u think you could squeeze a 67 out of it, It would just be another garden variety 81S in a newer holder, plus it only cost like $10

The PCI is tougher i believe, that holder is what actually induced the toning, im not sure how long it would take, but, eventually that coin is gonna progress to a terminal state and become ugly (i think) so it may be a good idea to crack and submit to a tpg and hope for a color bump(or just sell it to me and be done with ito_Oo_Oo_O)

9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

+1

10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I would leave them as they are. Monetarily, it doesn't make sense to re-grade them on crack-out, or get them beaned. There are so many nice coins of that date that making any money on it would be unlikely. If it were a different date, I might think otherwise, but 1881s? I would just keep them just as they are, knowing that you have two really attractive Morgans that are shining examples that TPGs do blow it big time, on some occasions.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted