2 Wins on vauctions!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Okay, these will have to do until Triton (there are a couple I am interested in). I bought the first one, a solidus of Constans II for 2 reasons. First, I did not have a coin of his and secondly even an ugly gold coin deserves a good home. Just think of the stories this ugly coin could tell. It has had quite a life judging by the scratches and wear. I will love it all the more for its imperfections.

contans II.jpg
    Constans II. 641-668. AV solidus
    (19 mm, 4.33 g, 6 h). Constantinople, 654-659.
    Obv: Crowned and draped bust of Constans II facing, wearing long beard, holding globus cruciger
    Rev: Cross potent set on three steps; A//CONOB.
    DOC 19a; MIB 23; SB 956.
    Scratches in field, punch mark or indentation on obverse, flat areas. Fine.

Now the second coin is a completely different animal so to speak. I already have a coin of Charles VI of France. He is known as the bien aimee (well loved) and le fou (the mad). It was his army that was bested at the battle of Agincourt. The English archers were one reason for the overwhelming victory of the english and the humiliating French defeat. The English were horribly outnumbered but prevailed anyway. If you have not seen Branagh's Henry V, I recommend to highly. The battle takes centre stage near the end of the play and is very well portrayed in all of its ghastliness.

I have adding a number of gold coins lately and really wanted one associated with the historic battle of Agincourt and one of my favourite plays, Henry V. Also, it is a lot easier to find gold coins of Charles VI than it is for Henry V. I have gone after a few and they really go quickly when they come up for sale. I remember waiting almost a year before capturing a penny of Henry V.
    Needless to say, this ecu d'or of Charles VI will take a prominent position in my historical figures collection.

So we will start with the Henry V already in my possession.

Henry V new.jpg
    ENGLAND. Henry V, 1413-1422 AD. AR Penny (17.46 mm 0.94 gm) of York.
    Obv: Crowned bust facing with mullet and broken annulet
    Rev: Long cross with three pellets in each angle.
    S.1785. Toned aVF.
    Pegasi Auctions (hosted by Agora Auctions) #34 Lot 756.
    May, 2016.

Now my Charles VI
    Charles VI Blanc.jpg

France Blanc Guénar 1380-1422
    (27.36 mm 2.55 g)
    Charles VI - ND (1380-1422) - Mintmark Tours Sixth Point
    Catalog: Monnaies Françaises Royales DupR 377
    Material: Billon
    Purchased from Numiscollection on ma shops August 4, 2017.

And finally the ecu d'or
    Charles VI ecu d'or.jpg

France, Royal. Charles VI. 1380-1422. AV ecu d'or
    (28 mm, 3.89 g, 12 h).
    Obv: Crowned shield of three fleur du lis + KAROLVS : DЄI : GRACIA : FRAnCORVM : RЄX,
    Rev: cross fleurée, a star in the center; all within a quadrilobe with lis at points and crowns in spandrels + XPC * VIИCIT * XPC * RЄGИAT * XPC * IИPЄRAT,
    Duplessy 369; Ciani 484; Friedberg 291. Good very fine.

Please feel free to post anything relevant. thanks for viewing my post.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I threw in a token bid on a William II of Sicily bronze. Didn't win. That Ecu d'Or is gorgeous though!

Orfew likes this.
  4. Orfew

I am sorry you missed it. It is a very interesting looking coin.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

OH man, I wish I had something relevant! Lovely coins orfew!

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I like the gold too despite it's "ghetto" look :cool:.

My Charles VI:

[​IMG]
    Charles VI "The Mad”, (1380 - 1422 A.D.)
    AR Blanc Guénar
    O: + KAROLVS: FRANCORV: REX; Shield of arms.
    R: + SIT: nOmE: DnI: BENEDICTV; Cross with two crowns and two lis.
    2.9g
    29mm
    DuP 377

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very cool stuff! Nothing I can add either.

8. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

Congrats. Nice additions.

9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Those are some really interesting coins associated with the battle of Agincourt (or Azincourt as I believe they refer to it in France).
    The Ecu d'or is very beautiful. Congratulations on finding them and adding them to your collection!

Like you, I like the story surrounding this conflict (except that I was obliged to dissect the play when taking my 'O' levels in the UK many years ago). That was excruciating...

I only have 1 or 2 french mediaeval or late mediaeval coins in my collection. Here is my demi ecu d'or of Charles IX.

Charles IX, demi-écu d'or au soleil, 1566.

Atelier (I believe Rouen).

1-2 Ecu Charles IX - 1.jpg 1-2 Ecu Charles IX-Rev - 1.jpg

10. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Awesome coins @Orfew you are building a great collection of medievals. I would love to have all four of those coins, especially the Ecu d'or. I recently picked up a budget London mint groat of Henry V.
    20171216_052542.jpg
    Henry V. 1413-1422. AR Groat (25mm, 3.77 g, 1h). Class C. London (Tower) mint.
    Obv: Crowned facing bust within tressure of arches; mullet on right shoulder. HENRIE DI GRA REX ANGLIE Z FRANC
    Rev: Long cross pattée; triple pellets in each quarter. POSVI DEVM ADIVTORE MEVM; CIVI TAS LON DON
    North 1387B; SCBC 1765.

11. Orfew

Very nice groat. These seem to be very popular with collectors as they appear to sell quite quickly. thanks for the kind words.

Makanudo likes this.
  12. Orfew

Thanks @Eduard Your 1/2 Ecu d'or is a lovely coin. The simplicity and yet beauty of the devices is very eye catching.

Makanudo likes this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Lovely examples!! But, I have nothing to share:(

Dang, now I'm catching 'gold fever' again:eek:

Orfew likes this.
  14. Orfew

meme.jpg

15. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Wow, a lot of beautiful specimens here. This is why, although I still have no ancients, I review these posts daily. I really appreciate you collectors who have pursued these & share them. ( I think my oldest is a 1642 or so Dutch coin, which is somewhere around here.)

Thanks all!!!

Theodosius, Mikey Zee and Orfew like this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coins all, I have neither a British or French silver coin. Closest I ever came was a denier of Bohemund II of Tripolis - a Crusader coin.

Makanudo and Orfew like this.
  17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'm glad my exploding Constans II has some company now. :) Sadly I lack anything connected to Henry V or Charles VI. Great stuff!

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 9.54.45 AM.jpg

18. Orfew

I like that Constans very much.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  19. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Funny as I was thinking about bidding on that coin, but eventually passed for the Tancred one instead:

Normans in Sicily: Tancred (1189-1194) Æ Follaro, ND (MEC 447-8; Spahr 139; Biaggi 1237)

Obv: +ROGERIVS:; in center, REX; above and below, ◎
    Rev: Arabic kufic legend on two lines - المالك تنقرير (al-malik Tanqrir; the King, Tancred)

[​IMG]

20. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I eyed that one myself!

Quant.Geek likes this.
  21. Orfew

Great coin! This auction had some very interesting medieval coins.

Quant.Geek likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted