2 Sequential 1896 $1 FR 224 Educational Notes Value Help

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by slamster17, Sep 8, 2014.

1. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

So Local Auction House has a coin and currency auction up on Friday. Just took a look, and this is a lot I am interested in, and am not sure on worth. Two sequential 1896 $1 educational silver certificates with some folds, but in pretty decent shape. Hesitant to post a link, but may post pictures if you ask. Wondering what you all think something like that would be worth? They estimated their grade at VF 30+. Serial numbers are 13623121 and 13623122. Most notable fold mark ran vertically on the left 1/4 of the notes, but the paper condition seemed quite nice considering their age. Love to hear your thoughts!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Any opinions would be amazing. I can only find comparable auctions on Heritage and the like for $1200-$3000 per note and up to 6 in sequence potentially higher grade than these...

Would $600 per note seem accurate?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  4. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

Man, that's a tough call without seeing them. I've yet to buy any educationals, but from my research there are hundreds and hundreds of these notes floating around in mid grade. So the popularity of the note is keeping the price tag high. If there are several paper money collectors/dealers at the auction, prices could go to the moon. That being said, you'll most likely get another shot at consecutives in a higher grade. If it were me, I would determine what they are worth to me by themselves and maybe add 10% more. If they were gem or part of a sheet then its a whole different ball game. I would love to know what they sell for, please share!

slamster17 likes this.
  5. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I will definitely. Placing my absentee bids now, and keeping my bid on these within the estimate, not going too crazy, but would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have them...They have an 1896 $2 educational too, but it is a bit above my price range...

Going to stick a pic from the listing in here...I do not own the pic by any means...You can't see any folds in the pic, maybe you can make it out on the left side 1/4 of the note, but really hard to judge without seeing them...

Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 6.04.58 PM.png

6. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Sequential educationals are not that common. It's hard to judge the grade from these photos. If they are truly VF30, then they are pressed to appear finer. I'd say they're worth $1500 for the pair if the grade is accurate.

$600 each if sold separate.

7. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Thanks funkee, will let everyone know what they go for. The estimate was 700-900...I am assuming that they will go for moon money, but sometimes paper isn't too popular at this auction. Hope I get them for cheap!

8. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted