2 Roman Imperial Bronzes - Emperors?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by coin0709, May 17, 2013.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Any guesses on who these emperor's are? I cannot quite make out the writing around the rims. Coin 1 has some glue or lacquer applied to hit unfortunately. I'd really appreciate any and all help to get me in the right direction.

Regards.

DSCN5367.jpg DSCN5368.jpg DSCN5369.jpg DSCN5370.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Coin one is Trajan, but I do not recognize the other coin.

4. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

Fakes... Trajan (up) and Agrippa (down)...

5. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks. So you are certain they are fakes. Coin 1 is a fake Trajan, and Coin 2 is a fake Agrippa? Would you mind educating me how you can tell?

6. Bing

Thanks Batman. I was having trouble with the attribution on the Trajan. I'd still be at it if you hadn't stepped in.

7. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

The Agrippa is obvious imo, style is awful (and it almost look as if there was "copy" stamped in the C on rev. ?). The Trajan is less obvious, style is ok, but the material/surface seems odd, so does the overall "softness". Unless it's real and was bathed in acid for a week, doesn't look good (to me at least).

Are these yours or currently for sale ?

Bing, you got the Trajan right, before I posted my reply... ;)

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

OP, one trick I use is to look at wear. See how the details lower on the coin look weak and worn? See how higher points like the ear have more detail? Now, ask yourself, why the heck would that be? If struck, the highest parts like the ear would wear first, and lower things would be protected and would be the last to wear.

Basically cast coins look inverted in terms of wear. That is the first thing I look at, (besides edges of course).

As an example, look at this coin I posted today:

Sothic.jpg

See how high points on the portrait are worn, but lower level details still have very nice details because they were protected? That is how wear is supposed to happen on a struck coin.

9. Bing

IMHO Trajan and Hadrian are easily identifiable as are most of the Roman portraits.

10. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Dionysos- Not currently for sale, now that they are ruled counterfeits. My friend has inherited several ancients, and wants my help identifying them and potentially posting them for sale. If it is okay, I will continue to post interesting coins (hopefully better than these), that I need input on. I am familiar with the various websites, but its tough when you dont even know where to start. :)

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Generally when someone posts two random samples from a group and both are fakes, it is a bad sign for the rest. Depending on how many coins are in the group, you might start by posting photos of two or three that are significantly different from each other in terms of size, metal and condition and see if we continue with more fakes. It once was not uncommon for low budget collectors to pad their holdings with fakes of costly coins and have genuine cheap ones (like late Roman bronzes) so your friend may have some real coins mixed in. The Agrippa here is troubling in particular since it has been doctored to try to hide the fact it was a modern souvenir copy even marked with copy. Such things are sometimes sold for a dollar or two at museum gift shops so a beat up one like this would be absolutely worthless. The Trajan is a better grade fake, still 100% certainly fake, and possibly something that would fool someone who knew nothing about coins. It reminds me more of the sort of thing offered to tourists by locals whose main business is cheating rich foreigners. If the late owner got most of his coins while travelling in the Mediterranean, it is a very bad sign that all will be similarly fake. Post photos and we will see.

12. Bing

I was looking around on Ebay earlier today, and I identified three coins from one particular seller to place in my watch list. As the auction time was approaching, I did my usual double checking starting with coin 1. It turned out to be fake. I immediately discarded that coin and the other two from that seller without checking further. The others may have been legit, but when I find a fake among a group being offered, I assume the worse.

13. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks all. I think my friend's uncle was a 'serious' collector but had some fakes mixed in unfortunately. I've posted a few of his in the past couple months for which you all have been especially helpful (gold Marcus Aurelius and Claudius Sestertius countermarked). I was able to do pretty well for him on those online thanks partly to ya'alls assistance (thanks). If its okay, I will keep posting, and taking advantage of this incredible resource. Hopefully I will continue to get 100% honest feedback like I have been. I'm strictly a US coin collector, so the ancients are new to me. I've learned so much just since I've been posting ancients on here.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Realize that our opinions based on photos could miss really good fakes which could get you in trouble with buyers who find out that they have been cheated. I am more than willing to state without question that some coins, including the recent pair, are fake. I can never be 100% certain from a photo that a coin is good. There are a few very, very good fakers out there which we all hope are spending their efforts on cheating someone besides us.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Dude => yah, I am "soooooo" glad you're my coin-buddy!! ... you re so damn clever at spotting the fakes, eh?

Cheers my friend!! (I owe you x 50!!)

I hope that you and yours have a fantastic long-weekend!! (cheers, Batman)

batman 3aa.jpg

:cheers:

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, it's a long weekend, so let's fly the Canadian flag, eh?

Cheers my awesome coin-brothers ... salute!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted