2 Penny's edging

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Marie909, Dec 12, 2019.

?

Keepers?

1. ?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Marie909

Marie909 Active Member

1st, Edge 1980 penny / 2nd, 1989 extra melt above 3 letters. Are either keepers? I like the 1980 issue, what is it / are they?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Marie!! I will give you my opinion. Im in the minority most the time with what I decide to keep or toss back.

I keep anything with even a small premium but also keep anything I "like" for any reason .....even if its just PMD, a weird scratch or stain or whatever. Especially with Pennies.Sometimes it even pays off. For instance, I am not really good at identifying BUT I have learned a ton over the years. Pennies are easy to toss in a tube and hang on to. I document all my coins that I keep with pictures on my desktop. So as I learn something new, I look through my pictures and can see if any pennies I kept have whatever it is on it I just learned. I hope that makes sense?!?!?

Best part about keeping a penny is that you are only out 1 cent by not spending it!!
    Having said that, I dont keep everything....only the stuff that looks neat or is interesting according to my wierd personal taste.

I say keep it and keep learning. Save the pics.

Best part is that it is 100% completely YOUR choice!!!

Now on the other hand, if you are keeping it to grade or something, ALWAYS check here with these guys and absolutely always listen to them. They will not steer you wrong and have no incentive to guide you to "loosing" your money with grading and slabbing.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Marie909

Marie909 Active Member

You are right, I mean, how much space does a penny take up lol I have little stacks of coins in many different place, I guess it's time to organize them!!!

SmokinJoe and Inspector43 like this.
  5. MatrixMP-9

I was using baby food jars for awhile lol! They were getting really banged up even worse then they already were. I find for the "no premium" keepers, the regular paper rolls work but I like the clear tubes because its iseier to get at them to look at em again when you want. I got a box on amazon and it was pretty cheap. I just write on the top with a magic marker the "decade" the penny is in. The pictures I save are really what I search through years later.

6. Marie909

Marie909 Active Member

Good ideas, I'll start dropping christmas hints ; )

Kevin Mader likes this.
  7. MatrixMP-9

Nice!!!! My kids now LOVE buying me stuff for this hobby. It makes it easy for them and is much better then ties and socks!!!

Inspector43 and Marie909 like this.
  8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I know that there are numerous "defects" that are not officially error. But, they are interesting. I keep everything I find that is interesting. I see Mechanical Doubling or Die Deterioration or any of the other issues I keep them. I found them and they are mine. I use them to remind myself and show the kids and grandkids how to identify thing. Have fun and remember there are friends here that will help you sort if you need it.

Marie909 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How much space, you ask? There used to be a collector on CU that had 9 - 50 gallon barrels full of pennies.

Chris

SmokinJoe, Inspector43 and Marie909 like this.
  10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Wait...what? :)

11. MatrixMP-9

LOL! I remember seeing a story on the news where a dude bought a new F-150 with jugs of pennys he brought in the bed of his old truck. I'd go nuts...my OCD would kick into high gear and Id have to look at every single one before letting them have em. If even 20% of the pennies he used were pre 1982 and he was willing to sit and separate them...with copper at roughly 2 cents per penny... probably gave the dealer an extra $5k if you think about it.

12. MatrixMP-9

socks and ties are the worst "Dad" presents EVER. Ive made that clear to the minions here.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  13. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Any estimate of how many pennies were in each barrel? The face value in each? :cool:

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Pennies ;)

I'm going to try to detect this weekend. I will post my finds of I do :hungry:

SmokinJoe, Inspector43 and Marie909 like this.
  15. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Good luck. I hope it is a nice weekend.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

WRONG!!! Pre-82 pennies are an alloy, and as such, are only worth about 25% of the price of Grade A copper.

Chris

Spark1951 and paddyman98 like this.
  17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't think so.. I also disagree.

18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I recall that picture. The barrels were behind his Ferrari.
    There's also a CT member who had gigantic bags full of pennies stacked on top of safes in his garage.

A single penny takes up no space. 5 billion of them take up plenty of space.

19. MatrixMP-9

Well...there goes my retirement theory of saving pennies lol.

20. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

it makes no cents ... or sense. :oops:
    of course if you get the zinc ones and they rot, then they'll make scents. :eek:

Nyatii, Inspector43 and MatrixMP-9 like this.
  21. MatrixMP-9

Its a joke. But....still might be worth more than my 401 with my luck.

plus, Im not much for breaking the law altering coins for profit but there are people that buy pennies for more than a penny hoping someday a penny will no longer be currency.

Draft saved Draft deleted