2 new Provincials

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Feb 13, 2018.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My auction newps included two Provincials which I bid upon mostly because I did not have them and thought I should. That seems like a lame reason but it is what it is.

I have been looking for a Gordian Caesarea drachm with reference to their two neocourates (BNE) for several years now. I have other rulers with Mt Argaeus reverses but did not have Gordian. There must have been a large group found since I have seen many, many offered for sale. The first I saw struck me as overpriced and many later seemed too low quality so it took a while to find one cheap enough and acceptable looking. Now I can stop looking. All seem to be year 5 (ET E). I know nothing of the find details.
    po2145fd2678.jpg

More my speed is my very first Alexandria tetradrachm of Valerian. I am not trying to get every Alexandrian coin or even every ruler but I was attracted to this common coin with yet another eagle on the reverse. The obverse legend has 21 letters which have to be pretty small to fit in the space available. All are legible at least if you know what to expect. Not all Valerian coins are this clear. When cataloging these be careful to read the eagle details correctly since little things matter if you like catalog numbers. This shows the eagle facing left with head right, wings spread and wreath in beak. I am not particularly interested in getting more eagles (they all seemed to issue eagles!) but this was my first Valerian and had reasonable letters. This is year three.
    ΑΚ Π ΛΙ ΟΥΑΛΕΡΙΑΝΟC ΕΥ ΕΥC
    pa2560fd2994.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great additions, Doug.

I lack a Gordy Drachm but would like to add one over time.

The Valerian has a great patina too it. Reverse eagle isn't found as much, to me, unlike mine.

[​IMG]
    Valerian I (253 - 260 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: AK Π L I OVALEPIANOC EVEVC; Laureate, cuirassed bust right.
    R: Eagle standing left, head right, wreath in beak. Regnal date L-Δ across fields (Year 4).
    Alexandria mint, 256 A.D.
    23mm
    10.3g
    Milne 3945 Emmett # 3705/4

Okidoki, GerardV, Smojo and 9 others like this.
  4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice coins Doug. Are the oblong features on the mountain volcano vents?

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins, especially like the Mt Argaeus reverse and the patina on the Valerian Tet is terrific. Good pick ups.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I've always thought the Mt. Argaeus reverses looked interesting. I suppose the many protrusions there represent trees? First time I saw that design, I thought I was seeing some kind of pyre with flames coming off of it. But of course the pyres on ancient coins look like wedding cakes. Go figure. :p

ominus1 likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice additions Doug

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coins for your collection.

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O here we go again :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted