2 new coins for my Roman republic collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by oldfinecollector, Feb 25, 2020.

1. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

My collection as 3 parts

1) Roman coins from Roman Republics to commodus
    Of course at the beginning I bought some other Roman period coins.

2) a freedom free style part adding from time to time some Greek coins, Parthian ones , Celtic ones...

3) Selected Byzantium coins

Today got 2 new Roman Republic coins denarii bought to Elsen & sons

Antonius Balbus 82- 83 AD serratus RCV 279

0AA36E9E-3A99-48F8-AC2E-5FBAAE6BB86E.jpeg 3BE9C859-3CC3-4FA1-9369-61547FDD5982.jpeg
    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Cæsoninus et Quintus SERVILIUSCæpio quæstores 100 AD

C1816018-8202-4A91-81A4-065263A4E1A7.jpeg E95F69A1-8F54-4CB9-A650-C1977DFF080D.jpeg

If you know the RCV number for this one it will nice as I am not sure about it

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Those are very pleasing to my eye. I need to pickup some more RR coins.

oldfinecollector likes this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Very nice examples - lots of eye appeal, well-centered, attractive toning. I like 'em. My first interest in ancients was the Roman Republic, back in the mail-order catalogue days. Nowadays I don't get many Republicans because the prices are out of my reach.

But now and again I find a cheapie, and this thread gives me an opportunity to post one I never thought I'd own: a T. Carisius with the moneyer's implements. These are extensively faked (as several posts on CT have noted) and genuine ones are expensive because popular. The one is, I am pretty sure, a genuine one (I am open to other opinions). It has a few problems...

So here it is, for $16.50, a bottom feeder's White Whale. Go ahead, laugh. I can take it. :sorry:

RR - Carisius Money Implements Feb 2020c (0).jpg

Roman Republic Denarius
    T. Carisius
    (46 B.C.) - Rome Mint

MONETA, Juno Moneta head right (no locks down neck?) / [T.C]AR[ISIVS], anvil with garlanded die above, between [tongs] and hammer; all within laurel wreath.
    Carisia 1; Crawford 464/2.
    (3.33 grams / 19 mm)

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice additions to any collection...:)

6. oldfinecollector

Always better to have a genuine one than a fake after all we collect antics not modern coins ...

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  7. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

I love the republican coinage this is one of my better ones 6D0FBF30-B899-44D3-A4B8-1AE27320A86B.jpeg
    L. MANLIUS TORQUATUS c113/112 BC

Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma facing right, X below chin, ROMA (MA in monogram) behind, all within Celtic torc border.

Reverse: Horseman galloping left, holding spear and shield, L TORQVA below, Q above, EX S C in ex.

RRC: 295/1. Sear: 172. CRR: 545. RSC: Manlia 2. [Rome, 113/2 BC].

8. oldfinecollector

So beautiful one

Tony1982 likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Tony1982 likes this.
  10. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

Thanks ! An issue not often seen I think

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since they were mentioned, we should see the common fake of the type that has fooled many people here and elsewhere. Memorize the centering and edge fault here. You will see it sold as genuine again unless I miss my guess.
    r27600bbfake.jpg

12. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I'm glad Doug posted that - it is a very common fake of this type. In addition to the centering and edge fault, what scares me most about it is the bankers mark! A bankers mark is diabolical! Most fakes don't go to such lengths, at least the ones I see on eBay all the time. This is a definite trap for the budget/bottom feeder collector.

I had this one in mind when I bid on my pitiful example. Just because something is low grade or damaged doesn't mean it isn't a fake.

13. oldfinecollector

It is easier to make a fake of a low grade coins and budget one as top grade as most of the fake are cast one and also when you buy a coin for less than 30 usd you don’t go to an expert. As I said before many of the reseller are on Eastern Europe low wages countries.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Both nice. Love the cabinet-toned appearance of the serratus.

I've never had one... yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted