2 Neat Ike Errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Mar 22, 2020.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Weak strike and also a 1 cent planchet indent.
    FB_IMG_1584914263417.jpg FB_IMG_1584914268952.jpg FB_IMG_1584914320245.jpg FB_IMG_1584914325195.jpg

Larry E, Dynoking, Mike185 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Ooh yeah. Like those!

JCro57 likes this.
  4. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

The first one looks like it was struck thru filled dies , If it was from weak dies some of the weak letters should be there just saying

5. JCro57

The edges have no reeding. On a grease-filled die error, the striking pressure is normal, so reeding is not affected.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  6. JCro57

And @Avery G. a.k.a. @rascal , no, weak lettering does NOT need to be present for it to be a weak strike (die adjustment strike ).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  7. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

The Ike with indent is a really cool-looking error.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Would that then be a Die Adjustment strike?

Definitely not a debris filled die strike.

Bob Evancho likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

10. JCro57

Weak strike is a more appropriate description than a die adjustment strike. We have no way of knowing if a coin like this was the result of them adjusting the dies. We do know the strike is weak, therefore I don't use die adjustment strike.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. JCro57

It is larger than the diameter of a cent and almost nickel-size.

That would be expected for it to be larger because the cent planchet is not in a collar, whereas the dollar planchet was.

12. cpm9ball

Hmm! I would expect the cent planchet to be slightly smaller in diameter than a normal cent since it didn't go through the coining chamber. Once struck, doesn't the planchet actually expand into the retaining collar? Or, is that distance so slight that it doesn't matter? ~ Chris

13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Because the cent planchet is softer than the Ike planchet, it absorbs more of the energy of the impact of the dies than does the Ike planchet and, unconstrained in the absence of a cent collar, expands more than expected as a result.

14. JCro57

...what he said...

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And another familiar question: how likely is it that a cent planchet ended up in the chamber without some "help"?

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The reverse on the second one makes it look like a photo taken from the back side of the moon. LOL Very cool errors.

17. cpm9ball

Makes sense! Thanks! ~ Chris

18. JCro57

It happens very, very, very seldom. However it can't be 100% completely discounted either. But can a differen't sized planchet accidentally wind up with another planchet in a striking chamber?

Yes. A feeder finger sized for a dollar planchet could conceivably push that and a smaller one into the chamber at ine time.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing.
    I could see some bored employees throwing cent planchets at the machine trying to shoot the gap. LOL

20. JCro57

That is a possibiity. Another is that a planchet was stuck in machinery and then came loose during dollar striking. Another is that a cent planchet was stuck in a bin and became loose as dollar planchets were poured in.

21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You should sell me the 1971 Ike.. That is my birth year :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted