2 more of the 12 Caesars Tiberius and Galba

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

These coins are not in hand yet, but I had to post them. I am very excited to be so close to finishing the 12 Caesars. I now need Titus and Domitian. My Augustus at the moment is just a badly worn copper as, but I will upgrade it to silver when I have finished amassing the 12.

First, a worn coin of Galba. What I like about this coin is that the condition of his name on the obverse is one of the best things about this coin. I have a feeling I will upgrade this one sometime in the future.

Galba. AD 68-69. AR Denarius. Rome mint. Struck circa July AD 68-January 69.Obv: IMP SER GALBA CAESAR AVG, Laureate head right Rev: DIVA AVGVSTA, Livia standing facing, head left, holding scepter and patera. RIC I 186; RSC 55.

galba.jpg

Now for the Tiberius. I know this is in rough shape, but I still really like it. I did not want to get the ubiquitous Tribute Penny version so I had to look for the quadriga reverse. No offence to those who like the Tribute Penny, but I did not find it very interesting. The portrait is quite worn, but I like the reverse a lot. The driver and the horses are quite clear and are positioned nicely on the flan.I am also not worried about the darker spots as I bought this from a very reputable dealer.

Tiberius. AD 14-37. AR Denarius. Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck AD 15-16. Obv: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS, Laureate head right Rev: TR POT XVII, Tiberius, holding branch and scepter, driving triumphal quadriga right, IMP VII in exergue. RIC I 4; Lyon 122; RSC 48
    tiberius.jpg

Please feel free to post your coins of Tiberius and Galba.

Alegandron, Eng, TIF and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Cool examples, I eyed the tiberius once myself.

[​IMG]
    Tiberius (14 - 34 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    EGYPT, Alexandria
    O: [TI]BERIOS KAISAR SEBASTOS, laureate head of Tiberius right; LID (date) in right field.
    R: QEOS SEBASTOS, radiate head of Augustus left.
    EGYPT, Alexandria Mint, year 14=27/28 A.D.
    13.43g
    23mm
    RPC I 5090; Milne 54; Emmett 61

[​IMG]
    Galba (68 - 69 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch
    O: AYTOKPATWP GALBA C KAICAP CEBACTOC, bare head right.
    R: Eagle standing left, wreath in beak, on two laurel branches; palm to left, ETOYC B (date) below.
    Antioch Mint
    14.4g
    26mm
    RPC I 4198; Prieur 100; SNG Copenhagen 163a

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Now I'm jealous Orfew!!!!! I need a Tiberius denarius and that one would fit the bill nicely. Congrats.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful pick-ups Orfew!!! I knew Bing would be just a tad jealous---as he states...

I have posted my Galba and Tiberius examples many times of late, but here's my denarius of Galba and seller photos of an AS of Tiberius:
    galba denarius with wreath reverse 001.JPG galba denarius with wreath reverse 002.JPG Tiberius obverse.jpg Tiberius reverse.jpg

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice additions! You're almost there. :)

I also like the big bold GALBA on the obverse legend of the first. If a coin grades F, it's always a bonus to have the emperor's name jump out of the details.

David Atherton and Orfew like this.
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

These are great coins Mat!

8. WDF

WDF Its all about history

Those are plenty good for me Orfew. I only have 7 of the 12 and need both of those.

9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Nice that you got a non-Tribute Penny type of Tiberius Orfew!

Orfew likes this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice ineed orfew, i don't have either of this guys.

i bid on a tiberius recently, and didn't even come close. :(

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Tell me about it. I've bid on two in the last week only to be outbid by one bid each time.

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice, @Orfew I only have 7 of them... Not too good of me. But working on it... :)

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Awesome scores, Orfew ... atta-boy, congrats!!

Hmmm, Tiberius and Galba, eh? ... well, I do have a few examples to toss into the quagmire ...

Tiberius Counterstamp.jpg
    Tiberius Emerita.jpg Galba.jpg

=> gawd!!?

"stevex6, my brother ... what the frick are those?!!!"

:rolleyes:

yah, they're pretty cool lookin', eh?

I'm a big fan of coins that look "old-n-rugged" ... I'm betting that these three babies have seen a few things in their time, eh?

Orfew, zumbly, Eng and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted