2 Lincoln Cents @ $270 sold price! IS THIS REAL?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sley, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Sley

Sley Active Member

The coins in question may be rare dates, but look at their condition. What made these bids sooooo high for 2 very circulated Lincoln's. I've got rolls and rolls of Lincoln Wheats, OBW; listed a few, and nothing! Some of them are 1917, 1925, 1940, and up.
    Thank you Ebay 2 pennys 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

ebay bidders are a fickle lot.

Sley likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Ok, but your coins aren't 2 key dates.
    If the coins aren't cleaned, I can't tell for sure based on your screenshot, then $270 isn't out of the realm of possibility I don't think.
    Also, you are looking at ebay. People don't always bid the smartest on there. If the coins are cleaned, then yeah whoever won probably overpaid.

spirityoda and Sley like this.
  5. Sley

Sley Active Member

Thank you

6. Sley

Sley Active Member

Thank you!

7. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

They would be easier to sell just in a bunch, minus a few goodies worth their own listing.
    Listing all individually theoretically would get you more money, but they won't sell all at the same time.

Sley likes this.
  8. William F

William F Well-Known Member

"The coins in question may be rare dates, but look at their condition. What made these bids sooooo high for 2 very circulated Lincoln's. I've got rolls and rolls of Lincoln Wheats, OBW; listed a few, and nothing! Some of them are 1917, 1925, 1940, and up.Thank you"

I have never seen a 1914-d wheat penny listed for anything less than $190 so this looks about right for both of those, actually, Cointrackers.com has the value of a 1914-d in avg condition listed at $281...
    https://cointrackers.com/coins/13511/1914-d-wheat-penny/

so if we're going to base it off of that, these people actually got a really really good deal... :)

Kevin Mader, MIGuy, Sley and 2 others like this.
  9. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Somebody was taking quite the risk buying an uncertified 14-D off of eBay.

10. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Was thinking the same!

Sley likes this.
  11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I think they over paid if you look at recent sales there have been plenty of uncertified 14 D in way better condition that have sold for much less or a little more I wouldn't bid more than $200 for the pair and yes they probably could of made a lot more money if sold separately.

Sley likes this.
  12. Sley

Sley Active Member

Hmmmm. Think I got one here, somewhere. Lol

13. Sley

Sley Active Member

Thank everyone, for your input! Tomorrow is Friday!

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

And isn't it funny, not one of them is a 1914-D or 1931-S...

MIGuy, Sley and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. Sley

Sley Active Member

Well, I'm still sorting and searching, along with educating myself. I do have some oldies.

16. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I just received a raw VG circulated quarter I paid $150 for, it was a good deal. (1921) Rarity matters.

Sley likes this.
  17. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

This will be a good experience for you, then. And who knows, you might beat the odds against. Good luck. :)

Sley likes this.
  19. Sley

Sley Active Member

Thank you!

eddiespin likes this.
  20. Sley

Sley Active Member

I found these old guys! lot of 5 oldies 2.jpg lot of 5 oldies 1.jpg

NSP, MIGuy, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  21. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

@Bradley Trotter raises a good point. Many folks here would be able and comfortable buying a semi-key/key coin unslabbed with confidence. However, many more here should really consider buying a slabbed coin from a reputable third party grader. Too often pretty good fakes get passed off to unwary buyers. A local antique store purchased a fake 1955 DDO not too long ago - the buyer thought they knew enough not to get burned. They ran it by me after the fact...fake. Buying from a trusted source is also key.

Sley likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted