2 coin mail call

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Everett Guy, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Picked these up today. Fro 20201019_224131.jpg 20201019_224238.jpg 20201019_224214.jpg nt and back pics of the 2.

20201019_224056.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Supporter! Supporter

finny, Everett Guy, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & avid numismatist Moderator

More a self-slabbing entity than a legitimate TPG, I believe. Not a particularly reputable company, but I will say one thing for them: I once bought a LRB in one of their holders which had come from a hoard found in 1968 at a Roman villa, and they had the findspot and date on the label, which was helpful.

The coin had an absurd "MS" grade on it, as I recall (it certainly wasn't), but it was an interesting and inexpensive buy. I later gifted it to Mike Duncan, the creator of the History of Rome podcast.

IMP Shogun, +VGO.DVCKS, finny and 9 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

@Everett Guy - as you may have known, Valerian I had an interesting history, being captured by the Persians and ending up as a human footstool and all that.

That coin, like the one I had in an NNC holder, is absurdly overgraded, but that is par for the course with them. Doesn't mean it isn't still a cool coin, of course. Where's the reverse pic?

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..it's an old seller of mine from ebay...i bought some of my 1st ancients from him back 14 years ago...he puts his own coins in his own slab..not a 3rd party/independent grader :)

yeah, that's a dandy of ol' Valerian and ya got another G3 denarius Everett...mines self silvered..:D silverwash Valerian antonianus 002.JPG silverwash Valerian antonianus 003.JPG

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Slab like that do a true disservice to the community. I would be 100% okay if it was simply slabbed with the emperor and date, for protection more than anything.

overgeading these is a massive fraud if y out ask me

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

oh, i wouldn't call it fraud...he's not trying to trick anybody..maybe guilty of hamming it up a lil too much..

+VGO.DVCKS, finny and Everett Guy like this.
  9. Everett Guy

Its the first pic. The pics got mixed up. So the first and last go together and the middle 2 together.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. Everett Guy

The more I collect and get history the more I want to get one of each, since its prob going to be impossible to get them all, I may fill in the ones I cant get with copys, i never pay attention to the grades from the self slabbed coins. If they look good they are "VF" to me... Maybe if I run into extra cash one day I will get some graded good coins, but you can def get some good ones for decent prices I am finding. I got both of these for about $60

+VGO.DVCKS and ominus1 like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter I dig ancient coins...

I have a Gordian/Apollo with Lyre as well...

gordian3.jpg

gordian4.jpg

12. ancient coin hunter

Phillip and Valerian on Shapur's mighty relief at Naqsh-i-Rustam. Phillip is the kneeling figure, Valerian is the bound figure standing.

valerian.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE Supporter

Nice coins, @Everett Guy ...

Here are a couple of mine, unslabbed / Never-Slabbed by the Alegandron Coin Confedration.

These are graded by the Ancients Sliding Scale. It is posted here on the Internet, so it MUST be true!

Ultra-Proof MS-103
    upload_2020-10-20_10-49-1.png
    RI Valerian I 253-260 CE AR Ant Felicitas stndg Caduceus and Cornucopia

Better-than-PERFECT MS-427
    upload_2020-10-20_10-50-58.png
    RI Gordian III 238-244 CE AE As 25mm Hercules S-C

14. Everett Guy

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  15. Everett Guy

There is prob no way of telling how many of these coins were produce. I wished I would of started collecting 30 years ago when I knew more dealers.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  16. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

I dunno @Alegandron , I would probably go MS-102 on that one.:cigar:

17. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

It’s impossible to determine actual mintage numbers. Best you can do is see which emperors ruled longer and thus tend to have more coins

+VGO.DVCKS and Everett Guy like this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

Lots of Gordie III types were struck, and in huge volumes.

19. DonnaML

DonnaML Supporter! Supporter

Why isn't there a "laugh" button?

20. Everett Guy

Prob how I got 3 easy...lol. the one list I had said they were semi hard to come by. Also I noticed I got 2 with different reverse image on them. Is this the case with most roman coins?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Oh. Silly me. I should’ve noticed that.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted