2-cent Doubled die + 1/2 cent(Fake?)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Thanos Father, May 21, 2020.

?

fake 1/2?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Worned

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Thanos Father

Thanos Father New Member

Just got into coin collecting and got my first 2 cent for dirt cheap. I like my coin shiny so I cleaned them and when magnified its doubled die. Feeling lucky.
    Anyone know if this 1/2 cent is fake? I think it's the 1809/6 but the letters are too fat. Anyone also know if that die marking on liberty face is error?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Thanos Father

Thanos Father New Member

asdfasd.jpg Photo of doubled die

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. Of course they are your coins and you can do what you want to them, but most cleaning techniques will drop the value of your coins to at least half or less. Sorry, don't see any doubling or overdate, ut we have many very knowledgeable collectors I am sure will chime in.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Thanos father? Seriously? :hilarious:
    You must be a huge MCU fan!

I've watched the ending of Endgame about 50 times just to see Thanos and his cronies get dusted! :dead:

Welcome to CoinTalk A'lars!

6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. Sorry, I don't see a doubled die on your 2 cent piece. Here's a good site to help learn how doubled dies are produced: https://doubleddie.com/58222.html
    As for your 1/2 cent, photos are too small for me to see anything.

7. Thanos Father

Thanos Father New Member

My children are in dust forms. I have the power to manipulate matter. Cap made a mistake by staying in past and creating a new brand of timeline for my child to rule the universe with absolute power

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Since you cleaned it all I see is a damaged coin. If you like your coins shiny then buy them in high grade conditions. All you've done is destroy a nice coin. Live and learn but never clean coins. Welcome to CT.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

PS. Yes, it's real.

10. Thanos Father

Thanos Father New Member

You sure? I think some of the letter are pressed twice. Very hard to see. Coin photo is taken under a ring light. No shadow. View attachment 1119517

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Noy seeing any doubling (coin identification is easier and better done with images shot straight on not at an angle)

Can't say anything about the half cent as there are no images. Oh wait there'e the images, four pictures in one thumbnail image (please in the future when uploading images select full size. The uploader defaults to thumbnail but full size images are much easier to work with)

I see the doubling on the 2 cent now, not a doubled die, Longacre doubling. And with the cleaning now maybe a $5 to $7 coin.

On the half cent, it is real, and you are correct it is the 1809/6 C-5 a common R-1 variety. Unfortunately it is also damaged.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Glad you got some more knowledgeable advice. Doubled die coins are not "pressed twice". Stick around and see what other people have/say

13. Thanos Father

Thanos Father New Member

Got a miscroscpe from a friend. New Photos. IMG_109.JPG

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Photos are better, still Longacre doubling.

15. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I believe what you see is either DDD (Die Deterioration Doubling) or, less likely, MD (Mechanical Doubling)

Neither of those doubling types has any real premium.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with Longacre doubling as well. It shows really well in the letters NI in UNITED.

17. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@Thanos Father. To help, here's what Longacre Doubling looks like:
    upload_2020-6-3_2-45-0.png
    Image is from error-ref.com

Draft saved Draft deleted