2-Cent Coin Grade Request

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MJ1927, Jun 15, 2021.

1. MJ1927

MJ1927 New Member

Hi there, I am back again looking for some grading advice on this 2 cent piece I picked up recently. It was described by the seller as a VG, the coin flip had an XF, and from looking at it myself and comparing with photograde I am thinking XF but maybe borderline AU as although the "WE" in the motto has some slight wear it is only really on the 'E' and fairly minimal. I'd love to hear what you guys think, thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It is possible for you to take a full picture of the entire coin? That will make it easier to grade than the small snippets you've posted.

4. MJ1927

MJ1927 New Member

Will do now!

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Thanks / what grading book are you using ?

6. MJ1927

MJ1927 New Member

I am away from home right now, would normally use a Red Book, but was using PCGS Photograde and looking at other examples but I'm by no means great at grading so any advice is much appreciated! Here are the extra photos:

Attached Files:

7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I don't think you need a coin book to see that that is an XF coin.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Well, I'm using the The official ANA Grading Standards for US coins . I'm thinking maybe an EF-40 at best . IMG_20201226_231009250_HDR.jpg

9. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

EF40, might get to 45, IMO.

10. shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe Member

This 2cent from the photos looks cleaned

YoloBagels likes this.
  11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes this is my concern. The “brassy” photos make coin look cleaned, and some the quieter photos make it look like it has been rubbed in the fields. If that’s the case it would EF-40 sharpness, cleaned, net for pricing purposes, low end VF.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Agreed, it wouldn't get a straight grade. The dead giveaway is that the high points of the coin are shiny from the cleaning but not the more protected areas. If it was natural, it would be the other way around. And it wasn't a very good cleaning, either.

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I'm thinking it has VF35-XF40 details.

derkerlegand likes this.
  14. MJ1927

MJ1927 New Member

I appreciate the input from everyone, took another look at it and I'd have to agree that it looks cleaned but XF details. For $23 I'm still very happy with the purchase, thanks again folks!

JimsOkay, alurid and yakpoo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted