$2 bill series?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Troodon, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

I was wondering if anyone knew a website, or book, or any other source where you can find what series of $2 bills that were produced, and when they were issued. (For example 2003A, 2003, 1995, 1976, etc.) Minor project of mine is to collect one of each series fo $2 bills starting with the most recent and going backwards, series by series, for as long as the notes are still reasonably affordable. I'd like to make a checklist to see what series I need to find but have had trouble finding a detailed list of which series produced $2 bills.

I'm fairly certain that the 2003A series, released in 2006, was the most recent $2 bills to be printed and issued (Recently after mcuh searching, I managed to find a bank that gave me a CU example of one for face value). Going backwards, I believe there were series 2003, 1995, 1976 (all of the $2 billis to appear as they do now) and before that, red seal notes with Monticello on the reverse, 1963A, 1963... before that I have had trouble finding what series preceded it specifically.

P.S. Another thing I've wondered about, and maybe some older people on the board could answer this, but was there ever a time that $2 bills frequently circulated? (If not in any living person's memory lol, any know a historical time period where they did?) I was born in 1976 and can't remember such a time, so if there ever was such a time, it would have to be older than that. I know my father remembers that before 1964 it was no more unusual to get a half dollar in your change than a penny. Curious as whether this wa ever the case with $2 bills which as far as I can remember were mostly considered a novelty for the sakeof collectors and haven't circulated regularly as actual practically used currency.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. adelv_unegv

adelv_unegv New Member

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

the above site is an excellent start! books would also be very helpful! The Friedberg book is an awsome resource, as well as a dozen or more others!!!!

5. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

I'm relatively young, but I used to occasionally check out some coin/paper money stores when I was younger. I still can't believe that I never once got a single $2 bill or dollar coin in change even from them.

6. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Thanks.

Did learn what the red seal signifies from this... it was to distinguish United States notes (red seal) from Federal Reserve notes (green seal). 1976 was the first year they printed $2 Federal Reserve notes. It was thought that this would reduce the necessity for $1 notes, but it didn't work out that way... people had been used to doing without $2 bills for so long (was 10 years since any were issued, and they weren't all that common even then) that they just made due without them and when they showed up again, they had already broke the habit of using them... cash drawers didn't have space for them anymore and banks would rarely order them and would only issue them on customer request, which they usually only did for the sake novelty or collector's items. Sounds like a familiar story lol... it is about the same thing that happened to the half dollar from 1964 to 1971...

Can thank my grandmother for calling my attention to these... she always enjoyed the novelty of $2 bills and would often send them to me (and her other grandchildren) in birthday and Christmas cards. Was the first I even learned of their existance. They're so uncommon now (in circulationthat is; millions exist of course, they're just not often seen in circulation) that many people today don't even know they exist... you can read several stories about people trying to spend these and people thought they were counterfeit or fake... I sometimes enjoy the fun of watching people react to me spending them lol, and I acquire fresh ones on ocassion just for the fun of it, and will send out many to people I know for the sake of novelty.

As mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I'm saving at least one of these per series for my collection... not a huge collecting priority but will try to get most of the ones that are reasonably affordable, possibly back to 1928 eventually, the first year these notes were produced to their current dimensions.

7. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

When i was younger... alot younger ... i went to a local coin shop near me. 20-25 years ago, and they had bars on all the windows, you had to ring a buzzer outside, and IF they deemed you worthy they buzzed you in. Here i was a 15 or so year old kid, and they buzzed me in. I dodnt remeber them giving me any special attention, and i centianly didnt notice any undue scrutiny. This shop was a high end store! i dont remember what they sold, but i do remember the layout and what looked like expensive wood cases all over. What i did find, however, was a 4pocket sheet or $2 notes. Each note was a different style. there was a 1976 style, a legal tender note, a silver certificate, and something else thatio cant remember. At the time i was mostly into pulling coins from circulation as i didnt have much opportinuty for much more, let alone a big budget (sounds similar to know lol) so this was a big part of my introduction into currency. Ever since then, when budget and opportunity arises, i try to snatch up a $2 note to complete my type collections of them as well.

I do have alot of them! But unfortunately, the earlier series, coupled with the fact (as you pointed out) they were ever very popular, so not alot were saved. This makes alot of the series a bit pricey, even in the low grades. I bought this book, called the The Official Blackbook Price Guide to US Paper Money 2007 . What this book shows is notes in several grades, including whats calld ABP, or average buying price )i think thats what it is called. anyway, what that column showed me was if i was getting a good deal. If i could get a note that selles for thousands in CHCU, if i could get a lower condition note for more my level ... i was happy. I know the 'guide' is not prefect, but it was very helpful!

good luck on your quest :D and please show us what you collect along the way :p

8. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Been my experience that any $2 bill since 1976 at least are fairly easy to find in most coin stores (though takes some searching to find at a bank lol...) for usually not much more than face value, even when CU or almost so. 1953 to 1963, still fairly cheap... the 1928 series tend to get a little pricey if you can even find a place that has them. The reason for that is pretty obvious of course... since 1976 they are pretty much novelties and while popular in coin stores they weren't popular in circulation, thus it's pretty easy to find them in high condition, cheap. Before that they were actually used, and thus didn't occur to people to save them for up to 80 years, they just spent the things... further back you go the rarer they get, even in lower conditions, and thus the pricier they get.

I expect this will happen with the recent series of practical denominations too, eventually... I don't think many are bothering to save the old $5's, $10's, $20's, $50's, and $100's... and they're going through many cycles of redesign, so there will be a lot of types... so if you think you'll want a type collection of such things in the future, set them aside now while you can still get them at face value!

9. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

I agree with you 100%!!! save any note NOW that you might want later. face is alot better then paying a premium.

10. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

They are already shredding 1995 and older. They've indicated that once $100 color version comes out, all the old green and black notes will begin to be shredded.

11. IMU4555

IMU4555 New Member

is nothing sacred

Draft saved Draft deleted